Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5831 by dlong
Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 pm
Holy Mackerel, Andy! I'M PORTED. :-)

It happened today! No fuss, no muss. Submitted LOA on March 2. Ooma started the porting process on March 9. Received email March 31 saying port will complete on April 2nd. April 2nd came and so did my number port. Phone never disconnected. There was no evidence of anything unusual except all phone calls sounded better. Next thing, I received email saying port was COMPLETE! Outgoing caller id is missing name, but it needs time to propagate. I'm now 100% OOMAed with NO phone bills, just plain LIBERATED!

A big thank you to all on this message board (number9, murphy, WayneDsr , and others) who calmed me down and answered my questions at the beginning when I was really nervous about all this. A MAJOR BIG HIGH FIVE to all the new (and old) ooma employees especially NEWT! Hail Newt! So far, this is one of the best things I've done in a long while. Thank you. And yes, ooma is a hellvalot more fun than a boring landline, sounds better too. So far, so good. I'd venture to say this is a next wave of the future.

Free at last! :-)
#5981 by epete
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 am
I am wondering why it takes so long to port. Both Vonage and Cablevision were around 2 weeks for me. This porting time is actually wasted time as you cannot really use the system unless you want to give out the temporary number. So for a month you still have to pay your old bill while easing into the 3 or (6 month costco) trial. I assumed this porting time was independant of ooma and thought it would be faster than 4 weeks but it looks like that may not be the case.
#5987 by funone46
Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:35 am
epete wrote:I am wondering why it takes so long to port. Both Vonage and Cablevision were around 2 weeks for me. This porting time is actually wasted time as you cannot really use the system unless you want to give out the temporary number. So for a month you still have to pay your old bill while easing into the 3 or (6 month costco) trial. I assumed this porting time was independant of ooma and thought it would be faster than 4 weeks but it looks like that may not be the case.

I just used call forwarding to the ooma system. It only has been 5 days since I sent in my LOA. Nothing is connected to the landline now. The scout in plugged in the back of the hub. All works fine
#6002 by epete
Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 am
funone46 wrote:
epete wrote:I am wondering why it takes so long to port. Both Vonage and Cablevision were around 2 weeks for me. This porting time is actually wasted time as you cannot really use the system unless you want to give out the temporary number. So for a month you still have to pay your old bill while easing into the 3 or (6 month costco) trial. I assumed this porting time was independant of ooma and thought it would be faster than 4 weeks but it looks like that may not be the case.

I just used call forwarding to the ooma system. It only has been 5 days since I sent in my LOA. Nothing is connected to the landline now. The scout in plugged in the back of the hub. All works fine

I also used call forward untol there was some sort of glitch with the answering ooma machine. With the ooma set to 7 rings, calls would go direct to the ooma answering machine within the first ring. I wasn't at home but my wife reported the phone kept ringinging (one ring) constantly for 30 minutes. From work I disabled the forwarding and the problem stopped. when I call my temp # it picks up on 7 rings.
#6028 by thively
Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:04 am
funone46 wrote:I just used call forwarding to the ooma system. It only has been 5 days since I sent in my LOA. Nothing is connected to the landline now. The scout in plugged in the back of the hub. All works fine
That's what I did, I call forwarded my AT&T to my Ooma number. Works just fine.
The only down side is that outgoing calls come from the Ooma temp. number, not from my number. A minor inconvenience that I just have to tell them I'm calling from a temporary number.
My port just completed today (took 3.5 weeks.)