Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#80144 by Ely
Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:52 am
Guys I have ordered an Ooma Telo handset, I would like to forward my Google Voice number to my secondary Ooma number, but I don't want all the phones in the house to ring whenever someone calls my Google Voice number, can I assign the Telo handset to be the only phone in the house that rings when my secondary number is called, but still let the Ooma Telo handset ring when someone calls the main number in the house? how would I set this up?

So basically this is what I want:

1-) Someone calls main number in the house, then all phones in the house AND the Ooma Telo handset ring.
2-) Someone calls my GV number, then ONLY the Telo handset rings.

I would also like to maintain separate voice mail inboxes for my Google Voice and the main home number, I don't want my GV voice mail inbox, to be retrived from my Ooma Telo Device, only the main number's voice mails would go there, can I retrieve my GV voice mail from the Telo handset only?
#80145 by KEM
Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 am
I recently tried to get basically this same thing except I just wanted main Ooma to ring all Telos and secondary Ooma to only ring on one (in addition to my main Ooma number). There i a thread around here somewhere but the bottom line was that if you assign a particular number to a Telo handset that is the only number that will ring on that device.

Your situation is slightly different so maybe someone will have an idea.

- KEM
#80164 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:33 pm
I *think* you can forward your first Telo number to the handset number, so that they both ring.
Then add the handset number to Google Voice so it only rings when the Google number is dialed.

Wayne

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I have a hub number and a separate Telo number and it works like that just fine.
#80168 by EA PA
Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:10 pm
Ely wrote:Guys I have ordered an Ooma Telo handset, I would like to forward my Google Voice number to my secondary Ooma number, but I don't want all the phones in the house to ring whenever someone calls my Google Voice number, can I assign the Telo handset to be the only phone in the house that rings when my secondary number is called, but still let the Ooma Telo handset ring when someone calls the main number in the house? how would I set this up?

1-) Someone calls main number in the house, then all phones in the house AND the Ooma Telo handset ring.

I would also like to maintain separate voice mail inboxes for my Google Voice and the main home number, I don't want my GV voice mail inbox, to be retrived from my Ooma Telo Device, only the main number's voice mails would go there, can I retrieve my GV voice mail from the Telo handset only?

If I understand your question correctly, in OOMA.com, Preferences, Phone Numbers, the primary number can be set up to be "shared" between the Telo and Handset, the Telo Phone jack plugged into the wall of course, for distribution to other house phones.

Then, you can add a second personal device with the second number dedicated to the Handset and forward to this second number. That should ring only the handset. I have not tested this arrangement but I did verify that OOMA.com can be setup this way.
#80177 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I *think* you can forward your first Telo number to the handset number, so that they both ring.
Then add the handset number to Google Voice so it only rings when the Google number is dialed.

Wayne

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I have a hub number and a separate Telo number and it works like that just fine.

You cannot assign one of your own numbers (numbers assigned to the same Ooma main device) as a forwarding number including multi-ring.
#80202 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:10 pm
lbmofo wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I *think* you can forward your first Telo number to the handset number, so that they both ring.

Wayne

You cannot assign one of your own numbers (numbers assigned to the same Ooma main device) as a forwarding number including multi-ring.

I wasn't quite sure, now I know, thanks.

Wayne
#80208 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:52 pm
Ely wrote:Guys I have ordered an Ooma Telo handset, I would like to forward my Google Voice number to my secondary Ooma number, but I don't want all the phones in the house to ring whenever someone calls my Google Voice number, can I assign the Telo handset to be the only phone in the house that rings when my secondary number is called, but still let the Ooma Telo handset ring when someone calls the main number in the house? how would I set this up?

Ely, what you can do is to have your main number multi-ring the google voice number (that's forwarded to your 2nd number).
#80392 by EA PA
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm
EA PA wrote:

If I understand your question correctly, in OOMA.com, Preferences, Phone Numbers, the primary number can be set up to be "shared" between the Telo and Handset, the Telo Phone jack plugged into the wall of course, for distribution to other house phones.

Then, you can add a second personal device with the second number dedicated to the Handset and forward to this second number. That should ring only the handset. I have not tested this arrangement but I did verify that OOMA.com can be setup this way.

I tested this with GV and am sorry to say it does not work. I am confused as to how you can set up preferences with one number designated as "shared" and the second number as personal to handset. Yet when set up this way, when the first number is called, the handset does not ring even though it says its "shared". Confusing / misleading setup, hence the OP question I guess.... strange
#80393 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 pm
EA PA, I think what Ely wants to do is the following:

Setup 1 handset as a private device.
Telo phone port and all other handsets are shared.

He setup a GV number and is forwarding to the private device. Everytime someone calls the GV number, the private handset rings. This is what he wants.

However, he wants to have the shared number/main number ring not only all the other phones but also the private handset.

To which I suggested that he multi-ring the main number along with his GV that forwards to his private handset; problem solved.
#80394 by murphy
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 pm
You don't assign a number as shared or personal.
You assign devices (Telo base and Telo Handset) as shared or personal.
You then assign a number to the device.
If a number is assigned to the shared pool, it rings on all shared devices.
If a number is assigned to a personal device, it only rings on that device.

With two handsets you could have a shared Telo base and a shared Telo handest and a personal handest.