Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#80118 by ellenrowell
Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm
Has anyone else ever experienced this? The only change I made was from DSL modem to cable modem. Now my Ooma doens't work and Ooma support people have been absolutely useless. I am currently back with my local phone company, and using my old Magic Jack as a second line, amazingly I've never experienced a problem with Magic Jack other than sometimes poor sound quality.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
#80120 by I_Ooma_2
Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:57 pm
You'll probably have to provide more details, but here are a couple ideas:

Have you tried rebooting everything (modem/router/Telo) after connecting your new cable modem?

Often times with DSL, you have to enter PPPoE settings into the router or Telo (depends on how you have it connected). You shouldn't need those settings with cable, so have you removed those settings from the Telo (or router)?

You can also try factory resetting the Telo.

Just some ideas until you provide more info (how it is connected, etc).

Lifted from another post:
Execute a factory reset on the Telo. NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE ALL NETWORK AND QOS SETTINGS. Unplug the power from the back of the Telo and reconnect. As the Telo boots up, it will turn on each row of keys in order. When the bottom row turns off and the logo starts to flash red, press and "stop" and "trash" buttons at the same time and hold. The logo will then start to alternate between blue and red. Keep holding the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns off. You can then release and the Telo will reboot. After the Telo goes back into service, configure any network or QoS settings that would have been erased.
#80122 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:35 pm
ellenrowell:
Procedure to reconfigure your Ooma Device's Internet Setting page:
Access your Ooma Setup pages using network cable connected to from your Ooma device's Home port to the wired LAN port of your Computer. After the computer reboot, type in http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser's window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet Settings. Internet Setting window opens. At connection type click on the down arrow and select Automatic. Clear out any data that is in the PPPoE Options: boxes.
Continue down the page and under INTERNET port MAC Address:, select Use Built-In.
Select Update.
Reboot the Modem, than when the Modem is done rebooting, reboot the Ooma Device, etc.

After the Ooma Device's Ooma icon turns blue, test.

If you still can't use your phone, test with Ooma device's phone Home port unused, and the Ooma device's Phone port connected to just one corded phone.
#83232 by ellenrowell
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 pm
Let me reiterate for all those who didn't seem to understand. What I said was when I replaced my Earthlink DSL modem with a Charter cable modem my Ooma ceased to work. I am using the Ooma Hub, not Telo. The configuration is as it always was; Modem to Ooma modem port, Router to Ooma Home port, PC to router. I didn't change my configuration, if I had I would have mentioned that. Again, the only change I made was replacing Earthlink DSL modem with Charter cable modem. The following keys are lit, 1 2 trashcan and mail and of course the Ooma tab is red. Everything dies at the Ooma hub. I had to remove it from the configuration to access the internet.

If anyone else has experienced this phenomena please tell me if, and how you resolved it. The latest from Ooma support was that it was the cable company's firewall, of course, there is no firewall, as it is just an open internet connection, and the only firewall is the one installed on my computer, which I have taken down, and put back up since that isn't the problem.
#83234 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:17 pm
ellenrowell wrote:Let me reiterate for all those who didn't seem to understand. What I said was when I replaced my Earthlink DSL modem with a Charter cable modem my Ooma ceased to work. I am using the Ooma Hub, not Telo. The configuration is as it always was; Modem to Ooma modem port, Router to Ooma Home port, PC to router. I didn't change my configuration, if I had I would have mentioned that. Again, the only change I made was replacing Earthlink DSL modem with Charter cable modem. The following keys are lit, 1 2 trashcan and mail and of course the Ooma tab is red. Everything dies at the Ooma hub. I had to remove it from the configuration to access the internet.

If anyone else has experienced this phenomena please tell me if, and how you resolved it. The latest from Ooma support was that it was the cable company's firewall, of course, there is no firewall, as it is just an open internet connection, and the only firewall is the one installed on my computer, which I have taken down, and put back up since that isn't the problem.

Have you tried what thunderbird outlined?

Network Connection

By default, the network connection is set to automatic, which is the recommended setting under most circumstances. In automatic mode, the ooma Hub will attempt to obtain an IP address via PPPoE or DHCP based on what is available in your network setup. If there is a preference to force a specific mode to obtain an IP address, select the appropriate network connection option.

PPPoE PPPoE is typically used with DSL connections. In cases where the hub is in front of a router with existing PPPoE credentials, no username or password is required to be entered, since the hub will automatically pass authentication information to the upstream provider. Usually the username for PPPoE connections will be your email address that was given to you by your provider.
#83236 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 pm
ellenrowell:
If you had been using DSL, then just changed to Cable, more than likely you have to clear out the DSL settings in your Ooma Hub, Ooma Setup pages, Network page, before the Ooma Hub will see the new cable provider's Internet connection, or Router LAN connection.

Since you have you Ooma Hub disconnected out of you Home's LAN, for ease of installation, temporarily connect a network cable from one of your Router LAN ports, to the Ooma Hub Modem port. After you get the Hub up and running, you can configure your set up any way you like.

Procedure to reconfigure your Ooma Hub's Network Settings page:
Access your Ooma Setup pages using a network cable connected from your Ooma Hub Home port, to the wired LAN port of your Computer. If you are using Wi-Fi, temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer.

Remove power from your Modem, Router, the Ooma Hub, and your Computer. Repower your Modem; Re-power you your Router when the Modem is done repowering (rebooting). When the Router has finished powering, Re-power the Ooma Hub. When the Ooma hub has powered (or will boot as far as it will boot up), re-power the Computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser's window (Firefox may work better). The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Network Settings. The Network Setting window opens. At connection type Click on the down arrow and select Default or (Automatic). Click on Update.

Remove power again, from your Modem, Router, the Ooma Hub, and your Computer. Repower your Modem; Re-power you your Router when the Modem is done re-powering (rebooting). When the Router has finished powering, Re-power the Ooma Hub. When the Ooma hub has powered, re-power the computer.