Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79888 by Fis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm
I love my Ooma for phone calls but I have spent a ton of time trying to get faxing to work and am at wit's end. Perhaps you can tell me if I'm missing something.

Background:
- I am using an Ooma Hub to distribute dial tone to my home's inside wiring (i.e., both Wall and Phone jacks are connected to the inside wiring)
- I am using a Brother MFC-5460CN MFC for faxing

Connecting the fax machine to the home's inside wiring resulted in communications errors, so I've tried the following:
- I moved the Ooma Hub so that it's next to the fax machine
- I plugged the fax machine directly into the Hub using a phone splitter as in this diagram http://www.ooma.com/uploads/images/kb/fax1.jpg
- I changed the fax settings to 9600 bps with no ECM
- I dialed the fax number manually and dialed *99 first

Still getting a communications error "Poor Line Condition".

Have I missed anything?
#80098 by Auldguy
Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 am
I bought a new fax machine, disabled error correction, slowed the thing down to 9600 baud, dial *99 before the number, and if I fax locally, it works great, but if I fax long distance (which is the majority) the fax never goes through. I have a Telo, and it's hooked up properly, so I have no clue... any other suggestions? :?:
#80475 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 am
Following is a site that may help with VoIP faxing. It contains general instructions for fax setup, and setup instructions for various brand name fax machines.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissue ... evices.htm

One suggestion that sounds promising is as follows:

Try placing a DSL filter in "reverse position" between the ATA (Ooma Device) and the fax machine (to cut down on "noise").

Faxing using Ooma phone service is just hit and miss until Ooma impliments faxing modes, "Store and Forward FoIP (T.37) fax standard", or "Real Time FoIP (T.38) fax standard".

Also view topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11405
#80878 by nn5i
Sat May 07, 2011 11:10 am
Fis wrote:(i.e., both Wall and Phone jacks are connected to the inside wiring)

One assumes they're on different pairs, not on the same pair.