Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79764 by TruffenHund
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:07 am
Okay, so I purchased the Ooma Premier (I got the free porting when I signed up) so I could use two lines; one for work (I work from home) and one for the family (ported number). In order to use the second line, you have to use an Ooma handset ($45-50) so I ordered one from Fry's (best price at the time). I have Magic Jack (we call it "Magic Jacked-up") on my MacBook and wanted to get a better system. I use a headset with it, so I thought the second line with my headset would be fine... Wrong. The Ooma handset does not have a headphone jack... a $50 stand alone phone (no answering machine) without a headphone jack, go figure. But I also have a bluetooth headset for my cell phone, so Ooma lets me use that as a headset for the Ooma handset. EXCEPT... you have to 1) buy a bluetooth adapter ($30), connect it to the Telo box, and 2) once you connect the bluetooth adapter, you can't use your non-Oma telephones; for me, a Panasonic DECT 6.0 with 4 phones that would be rendered useless. Isn't the whole point here to save money?

So, what is my opinion on the Ooma handset? On a scale of 1-10 (10 begin exceptional) I give it a 5... a generous 5. Here is why it's not a 10:

No headset jack (you knew that was coming)
$50 for one phone (you probably knew that was coming, too)
Mediocre call volume on speaker phone
VERY noticeable latency (delay) on conversation
My wife hates it (I didn't see that coming)

Overall, I am only keeping Ooma because it is cheaper than Vonage and any U-verse, Comcast, etc. VOIP (and much cheaper than copper) over a year period... I'll save about $180 over a year over other VOIPs.

Hope this helps in any decisions you make.

Semper Fi
#79765 by murphy
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am
Using a bluetooth adapter does not affect a phone that is connected to the phone port. It will continue to work just fine.
#79766 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am
TruffenHund wrote:2) once you connect the bluetooth adapter, you can't use your non-Oma telephones

TruffenHund, could you share more on this?
And this time murphy, you typed faster :)

FWIW, here is what I'd do in your situation if I had a Telo:

Assign the 2nd number, you want to use for work, to the Telo, making Telo a private device. If you do this, the phones connected to the Telo "phone" port would be the only ones ringing for the 2nd number.

With "phone" port being yours, you can plug in any phone you want that would fit your needs for work. Example, since you would probably be on the phone a lot so you can get one of these phones for work:

viewtopic.php?t=9042#p63031 or plug in a DECT 6 phone system that allows headsets etc.

As for your family, all your Telo handsets would be "shared" devices so your first number will ring all your Telo handsets.
#79781 by EA PA
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:45 pm
TruffenHund wrote:My wife hates it (I didn't see that coming)

Me either! Same thing for my wife, she won't touch it. In fact, she shares your wife's sentiment "hates it". I ask her why? She will not elaborate. She just hates it, strange indeed! I use it all the time and can't figure it out. OOMA design needs to obtain the consulting services of a housewife for the next generation handheld. ;)