Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79586 by I_Ooma_2
Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:54 am
I don't anticipate having to fax (send or receive) too often, but I have a question, although I'm not sure if anyone will really know the answer (other than perhaps someone from Ooma)....

Ordinarily, when you go to send a fax over a landline and you have call waiting, it is recommended to disable call waiting (*70) before faxing.

My question is, can you combine * codes? For example, if I wanted to send a fax could I initialize the call with *99 *70 (Fax mode & disable call waiting)? Or rather my real question is: Does Ooma automatically disable call waiting when fax mode is initiated on a per-call basis? I assume it wouldn't be disabled in normal fax mode (as set in MyOoma), but I suppose it could be. In a way I think it should be, but then some people seem to run in fax mode all the time, in which case disabling call waiting notification wouldn't be ideal.

I haven't done any faxing yet but I am trying to get an idea of how it works. I've read some other tips on increasing faxing reliability. Once my landline is disconnected (and disconnected from the box outside), I will likely try some incoming & outgoing fax tests.
#79588 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 am
Just done some testing to verify.

*99 and *70 can't be combined.

*99 doesn't disable call waiting.

If you don't mind a 206 area code for your fax number, you can sign up to receive free incoming faxes to your email via k7.net; personal dedicated fax 24x7 for free; how cool is that? Works beautifully. Only drawback....need to use the number at least once every 30 days. I just set myself a reminder to call in and leave a VM every month.
#79590 by I_Ooma_2
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 am
Thanks for running some tests!

I could consider the k7.net thing, but I literally use faxing maybe once every year or two (though a bit more frequently lately due to atypical circumstances).

Personally I am of the opinion that with scanners, Adobe PDF documents, and that new-fangled thing they call "e-mail", there is no reason to use faxes anymore. :D
#79592 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:28 am
Dedicated incoming fax is fantastic. K7 works perfectly for me since 206 is local to my area. I tried OneSuite $1/mo incoming fax but found that I couldn't fax myself using machines at work. Then I found K7.