Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79270 by Cheerymonkey
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:00 pm
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but have I got this right - moving locally, I don't really need to do ANYTHING but hook up at the new house, and change my billing address with Ooma online? Is it really that easy?

I'd like to keep my current phone number.

I'm currently connecting through a Qwest DSL modem, and I'll be connecting through a Comcast one at the new house.
#79272 by EA PA
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm
Cheerymonkey wrote:Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but have I got this right - moving locally, I don't really need to do ANYTHING but hook up at the new house, and change my billing address with Ooma online? Is it really that easy?

I'm currently connecting through a Qwest DSL modem, and I'll be connecting through a Comcast one at the new house.

Yes as long as you have an internet connection. Changing your address is for E911 service
#79363 by Leeway
Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:57 am
Cheerymonkey wrote:Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but have I got this right - moving locally, I don't really need to do ANYTHING but hook up at the new house, and change my billing address with Ooma online? Is it really that easy?

I'd like to keep my current phone number.

It really is exactly that easy. I sold my home and moved 5 months ago and that is just the way it worked. Plugged it all in and rebooted the router and Ooma, changed my physical street address and good to go. I also had to change from U-Verse to Road Runner and purchase my own router because I returned the U-Verse router. None of it was a problem.

Funny thing, in the end. I am now in a condo complex and I had two friends living in other buildings here. One of them is directly across the 'street' (50 feet) from me and I was kinda dreading that because she is an endless talker. As things go, she never called me at all and one day I happened to mention it in conversation with her. She said "oh, I won't call you because it is long distance for me to call you". She has a landline with AT&T and where I lived before this was long distance. So by me bringing my number along, it was all good !! I suppose I could give her my other Ooma number but somehow I just can't seem to remember that one. (wink)

Donna
#79413 by fonfellow
Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:40 pm
If you have a landline, your phone company might not let you keep your number if you're moving to a different rate center. If you port your number to ooma, you'll keep it wherever you go.[quote][/quote]
#79450 by southsound
Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm
fonfellow wrote:If you have a landline, your phone company might not let you keep your number if you're moving to a different rate center. If you port your number to ooma, you'll keep it wherever you go.

Cheerymonkey has an ooma number - not a landline number. No other phone company involved except for Internet access.
#80236 by nn5i
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 am
It works that way for non-local moves, too -- even if you move to another continent.