Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79063 by jdthird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm
I got an Ooma hub and scout way back when they first started offering them on Amazon. But since day one, I've had issues with the hub working fine for everything except the phone system. I can get to my ooma home through it as a router (it's the only router, using a cable modem from Time Warner), and everything on the network can get out to the internet just fine. Only thing I have issues with is the phone service itself. It just shows "Ooma core: Registering, please wait..."

I power cycle the unit and sometimes after 6 to 10 power cycles, the phone finally works. Sometimes it doesn't work for days then just starts working again.

When in warranty, I could never get any warranty response through support for it, since they kept telling me to call them, which I couldn't do since my cell phone didn't get a signal at my house (hence the need for a landline phone of some sort).

So of course I'm out of warranty for a while now, problem still persists. Right now i have no phone although everything else works through the hub. The lights on showing a status vary each time, but generally they're on a configuration that the troubleshooting manual says to try to get to my ooma page since if I can do that, then everything should be working (which obviously it's not).

I've been getting more and more frustrated as each year passes, and finally am at the point where I'm ready to just trash it and find another solution.

I of course prefer not to upgrade to the newest model of hardware, since I'd then have to start paying the fees that I don't currently have to pay, and I really don't know if it would work any better than this current Ooma product does. In the past I've used sunrocket, vonage, my own softphone for my VOIP line at work, even magic jack, and have had zero issues with any other type of VOIP system, so i'm assuming it's not an issue with Time Warner blocking things, since if it was blocking ports or something, then the continuous power cycles on the Ooma device wouldn't eventually make something finally kick in, it's just be inop all the time.

Anyone else with the old hardware have a similar problem, and upgrade and have the problems go away? The junk fees would still be cheaper than any other option out there for home phone service, and I'm fed up with always seeing the "check phone line" message on my phones that let me know I have to spend a few hours randomly going down there to power cycle things over and over and over to finally get it working again. Only other concern is I see from posts that it appears people who don't get premier on the new system only get caller ID number, no name?

Thanks for any info

John
#79069 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:39 pm
jdthird:
Some thing that I would try to add stabilty:
Access you Ooma Setup pages by typing in http://setup.ooma.com in a computer's browser window, with the computer connected to the Ooma Hub's Home port with a network cable. Turn off MAC address Spoofing by clicking on the "Use Built-In" MAC address button, than select Update. Reboot the Modem, than when to Modem is done rebooting, reboot the Ooma Hub.
#79075 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 pm
jdthird:
Another thing to try:
To add stability:
Some Modems have DMZ's.
Do only if your Modem issues a static IP address and has a DMZ. Try setting up the Modem issued Static IP address in the Hub, than place the Hubs static IP address in the Modem's DMZ.
#79078 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 pm
One quick thing you can do is to replace your cable modem. Without worrying about all these other details.

thnunderbird, I didn't mean to knock your post to outer space. :)
#79080 by jdthird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:17 pm
Already replaced twice in this timeframe. Last summer I had them come out and redo their connection to their equipment at the property line since they found some questionable cable... I had really hoped that find might've meant no more problems, but of course it persisted....

Thanks though!
#79081 by jdthird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 pm
lbmofo wrote:jdthird, walk through this post and see: viewtopic.php?t=10023

Grrr, I think I inadvertantly replied to the post I was looking at that you referenced instead of this one... sigh... So lost all the actual numbers, but the bottom line was everything was green, all the numbers exceeded the recommended ones, either high or low accordingly...