Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78838 by EA PA
Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:53 pm
I bought set of 4 DECT 6 phones for OOMA. I have had some quality issues with OOMA in the past, it is mostly working OK at this point (except for my perpetual delay to connect to cell). Anyway, I called my OOMA from work and my bride answered one of the DECT 6 phones. After 30 seconds or so, dead silence - huh? I called back and 30 seconds or so later - same thing. Tried again the third time and same thing. My first reaction :x *K(#&&:''!@@ OOMA grrrrrr. Here we go again.

On the 4th try, my bride suspecting an issue with the DECT 6 phone, grabbed another. it worked great. A few more calls, no issues. DOOP! Try the suspect phone, dead again :shock:

Take away... Its not always an OOMA issue. Humbled, another lesson learned. :cool:
#78848 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 pm
You saying it is one of your DECT 6.0 handsets? What about the times before the DECT phones?
#78850 by tomcat
Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:20 pm
EA PA: What brand are your DECT phones? Are they the ooma phones or a different brand?

Also, are you still having to use *98 for your calls or has that been resolve for you?
#78852 by EA PA
Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:You saying it is one of your DECT 6.0 handsets? What about the times before the DECT phones?

lbmofo - I have had several historical issues, each of which has been either partially or fully resolved. I bought the DECT 6 set at the forums recommendation due to potential RF interference issues between the older 2.4 / 5.8 GHz phones / base and WiFi, I think it was either you or Thunderbird or Murphy I think. Murphy originally clued me into the 1.9 GHz freq with DECT 6 - so a good idea to get it away from WiFi frequencies. Before the DECT 6 my biggest issues were having to use *98 all the time, calls that would not go through about 10% of the time and also delay to connect to cell phones.

At this point after some physical rearranging to get OOMA away from my WiFi router, cold booting my modem a few times and buying the DECT 6 set to replace the other phones, I find that I don't have to use *98 for LD and in some cases local landlines, however I still need *98 for calls to cell phones otherwise I get the delay to connect even with the DECT 6 phone set. There has been some improvement however.

So, if you are asking if all of these previous issues were resolved by disposing of one of the DECT 6 phones, the answer is no. It was just a recent thing that happened where one of these phones just dies after 30 seconds or so. The larger issue is that it is very easy to stomp all over Telo / OOMA and usually Telo seems to be the primary suspect when anything goes haywire (at least in my house). This is just an FYI to fellow OOMA enthusiasts that there is lots of stuff to consider before simply assuming that Telo is to blame for everything.

If anyone would be sensitive to this fact, it is certainly you 3000 + post guys :D Thanks for asking.
#78854 by EA PA
Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 pm
tomcat wrote:EA PA: What brand are your DECT phones? Are they the ooma phones or a different brand?

Also, are you still having to use *98 for your calls or has that been resolve for you?

Good question. I got Uniden Model: DECT1580-4WXTPT, http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... rod1180843. The one that goes haywire is the one that is supposed to be waterproof. As it turns out, it does not work out of the water very well :( Edit: I also have the OOMA handset, apparently one of the only ones that work. I have no issues with mine.

I described the *98 thing in response to lbmofo.