Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78778 by EA PA
Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:36 pm
As a full fledged (and also embarrassed) member of the "I lost half my stuff to lighting" club, may I be so bold as to highly recommend the incorporation of at least 1000 joules of surge protection and / or UPS or both for protection of your equipment.
#78794 by busman
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 am
The Ooma was not plugged into a surge protector, I'm embarrassed to admit. The new computer is plugged into a new UPS and the new Ooma will also be. However, in addition to the Ooma, we lost a 55" LED TV, a Bluray player, and a Wii gaming console and all of those items were plugged into a Monster Cable top of the line surge protector. Lightning is a powerful thing.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Busman
#78815 by murphy
Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:59 am
Surge protectors protect against surges.
A direct ligntning strike will plow through anything that is in it's path.
#78835 by EA PA
Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Agree - hence the rating in joules... I saw stuff from lighting that I will not soon forget. My power line feeder routed in the basement to my oven was hit so hard that it tore out every cable staple from the floor joists (about 20) - all over the floor, the oven heating element was a sparkler for about 2 minutes (bizarre by the way), I found carbon trace between GFI socket holes, shorted lamp sockets, blown furnace controls, speakers, TVs, computers etc etc. My living room was full of smoked equipment. So, yes I agree - when you get a direct shot, nothing is safe that is connected via copper. A few joules of protection for close calls and line perturbations, and good insurance helps. I also installed surge protection at my electrical main.
#78903 by nn5i
Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 am
EA PA wrote:I saw stuff from lighting that I will not soon forget.

Lighting ought to be under your control. Lightning, on the other hand, is wild stuff. ;)
#78937 by EA PA
Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:13 pm
nn5i wrote:

Lighting ought to be under your control. Lightning, on the other hand, is wild stuff. ;)

Ah yes, a casualty of excessive trust in auto spell / grammar check. In the future after I generating text for a post I will be sure to run spell and grammer checks, than I will reread it to make sure its correct before I post it into the forum so that not only is the spelling and grammer is right but the intent does not get changed.

You really want to go there with me? I know your Achilles heel! C'mon, I know you are cringing. :P
#78941 by southsound
Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:00 pm
nn5i wrote:

Lighting ought to be under your control. ;)

If you really want to control your lighting then you need one of these:

ImageImageImageImage
#78944 by EA PA
Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 pm
SS, A bit too Vegas for me. I prefer something a bit more soothing.

cherenkov lighting.jpg
cherenkov lighting.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
#78959 by nn5i
Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 am
EA PA wrote:I will be sure to run ... grammer checks ...

You really want to go there with me? I know your Achilles heel! C'mon, I know you are cringing. :P

I seldom cringe. That's one of the things my dear old grammer -- rest her soul -- taught me (along with spelling and grammar). :cool: