Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78739 by brs
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 am
I'm just looking for a better explanation to a problem I'm having. I'm trying to port my number to Ooma and the web site gives me an error stating that my number cannot be ported. I call customer service and am told that Ooma currently does not have a carrier to support porting this number. I ported this land line number to a mobile account a year and a half ago and then back to a land line without a problem. What do they mean about having a carrier to support it?

Does anyone understand the port process that could explain this to me?

-=brs
#78747 by Ely
Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm
See if you can port it to Google Voice, then make all calls forward to your new Ooma number? not sure if forwarding is free in Google voice though, never used it, just a suggestion on a possible solution to your problem, Google Voice is free I believe.
#78752 by southsound
Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm
Google Voice is all about forwarding. You create a list of one or more numbers to forward you calls to and GV will ring them all. There are many options including special treatment of calls from a certain group, etc. If a call comes in on GV and you answer it on one number, you can transfer it to the other numbers by pressing * - the system also has great voicemail, email notifications with transcription (kind of comical) and access to the message from your email client. I know that GV will port from a mobile phone but I'm not sure about from a landline. You might have to port to a cheap prepaid cell and then port to GV. GV is free but it costs $20 to port your number in. Here is the GV porting link.
#78800 by brs
Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 am
Great idea with Google voice everyone however if you take a look at the porting page for Google voice you will see:

"Please note: at this time, number porting to Google Voice is not available for land line numbers or corporate mobile numbers. "

As I mentioned in my post, this is a land line number I'm working with here. Still looking for and explanation on the issues that Ooma has.
#78801 by tomcat
Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 am
brs wrote:As I mentioned in my post, this is a land line number I'm working with here. Still looking for and explanation on the issues that Ooma has.

It is my understanding that your number is portable between the carriers in your area because those carriers have agreements in place with each other. Ooma may not have agreements in place with those carriers in your area and therefore cannot port you number at this time. Or, the carrier they do have an agreement with may not have agreements with the other carriers.

Again, this is just my understanding of how it works.
#78817 by southsound
Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:51 am
brs wrote:Great idea with Google voice everyone however if you take a look at the porting page for Google voice you will see:

"Please note: at this time, number porting to Google Voice is not available for land line numbers or corporate mobile numbers. "

As I mentioned in my post, this is a land line number I'm working with here. Still looking for and explanation on the issues that Ooma has.

This is why I stated in my post directly above yours:
southsound wrote:You might have to port to a cheap prepaid cell and then port to GV.
#79414 by fonfellow
Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:45 pm
brs wrote:I'm just looking for a better explanation to a problem I'm having. I'm trying to port my number to Ooma and the web site gives me an error stating that my number cannot be ported. I call customer service and am told that Ooma currently does not have a carrier to support porting this number. I ported this land line number to a mobile account a year and a half ago and then back to a land line without a problem. What do they mean about having a carrier to support it?

Does anyone understand the port process that could explain this to me?

-=brs

The provider you're porting to has to have facilities where you are.
#79705 by tkc9789
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm
southsound wrote:Google Voice is all about forwarding. You create a list of one or more numbers to forward you calls to and GV will ring them all. There are many options including special treatment of calls from a certain group, etc. If a call comes in on GV and you answer it on one number, you can transfer it to the other numbers by pressing * - the system also has great voicemail, email notifications with transcription (kind of comical) and access to the message from your email client. I know that GV will port from a mobile phone but I'm not sure about from a landline. You might have to port to a cheap prepaid cell and then port to GV. GV is free but it costs $20 to port your number in. Here is the GV porting link.

New to Ooma for about a week. Enjoying the service so far. Porting my number to GV then forwarding all calls from GV to Ooma is what I'm considering as well. However, when I dial from my home phone, would the Ooma # be showing up on the called party? If so, any way to have the GV # as the caller ID?
#79708 by southsound
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm
Answers in red below:
tkc9789 wrote:New to Ooma for about a week. Enjoying the service so far. Porting my number to GV then forwarding all calls from GV to Ooma is what I'm considering as well. However, when I dial from my home phone, would the Ooma # be showing up on the called party? That is correct. Outgoing calls will show the ooma number.

If so, any way to have the GV # as the caller ID? If you have a Telo with Premier, you can use ooma's Premier Extensions for Google Voice to do this. I don't bother because I have trained most of my friends to ignore the number that shows up on their caller ID and use my GV number instead. If you do use GVE, you will need to set up a virtual number for GV only.