Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78672 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Ely wrote:Thanks lbmofo buddy,

So just to make sure I understood this correctly, when my transfer is complete, I just open that box and unplug both phone cords from their respective plugs, then attach that note there for security, then connect a phone cable from the Telo "Wall" outlet to the nearest phone jack and I should then have the Ooma dial tone throughout the house right?

Right. Except the dialtone comes from Ooma's "phone" port and not "wall" port. The "wall" port isn't used for anything other than "landline integration" mode where folks use their Ooma with their existing service.
You can do a test now. Unplug both plugs at the NIB, make sure your phones are dead as door nail, plug a cord from Ooma's phone port to a wall jack, you should have Ooma dialtone on every connected phone.
Before you plug the plugs back in at the NIB, make sure to disconnect Ooma's "phone" port from wall jack.
#78673 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm
Thanks lbmofo,

I couldn't have done this without your help guys, it's already dark here and I don't have a good flashlight, so I'm gonna let that test for tomorrow, I will let you guys know how it went.

One more question though, what kind of splitter can I use on the Telo Phone port so I can have the phone on that room (where the Telo unit itself is) also connected to the Ooma network? is it just a regular splitter of those sold at RadioShack etc? or should I use one of those that say Line1, Line2, Line3 written on each port?
Thanks.
#78675 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm
One more thing on the test. If you are in landline integration mode (opted to use your existing number and feeding your landline dialtone to Ooma's wall port) then can't do the test because Ooma needs the landline dialtone to work.

The splitter you need would be these duplex splitters (not the L1, L2, L1+L2 ones):
This one, you can plug into the wall jack and then feed Ooma dialtone to one port and then plug your phone into the other.
Last edited by lbmofo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#78676 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm
Thanks, no, I did not go for that option, I will totally disconnect from the phone company and go Ooma %100, so the Wall port will remain of no use for me, thanks for helping me decide which splitter to buy!
#78677 by murphy
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm

So just to make sure I understood this correctly, when my transfer is complete, I just open that box and unplug both phone cords from their respective plugs, then attach that note there for security, then connect a phone cable from the Telo "Wall" outlet to the nearest phone jack and I should then have the Ooma dial tone throughout the house right?

Nope. You use the Phone outlet. The Wall outlet is only used for landline integration which I don't recommend.
Last edited by murphy on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
#78682 by southsound
Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 pm
Ely, just a quick note to answer a question you had a while back. If you ever do have wiring problems after switching your service to ooma, before you pay good money to have either your old phone company or a private installer come out to check things, use this forum. There are a lot of old phone guys and gals here who can walk you though any troubleshooting that may be required. You have already been helped by some of the most awesome people on the forum... murphy is the number 1 poster and lbmofo is number 2 in posts. Those of us on the forum are always happy to help you be (and remain) successful with ooma. :P
#78684 by EA PA
Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 pm
Of course dont forget the option of plugging your base cordless into the OOMA phone jack and using the rest of your cordless system without bothering with the copper at all.... ;)

OOPS nevermind - I see you were already there
#78686 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm
southsound wrote:Ely, just a quick note to answer a question you had a while back. If you ever do have wiring problems after switching your service to ooma, before you pay good money to have either your old phone company or a private installer come out to check things, use this forum. There are a lot of old phone guys and gals here who can walk you though any troubleshooting that may be required. You have already been helped by some of the most awesome people on the forum... murphy is the number 1 poster and lbmofo is number 2 in posts. Those of us on the forum are always happy to help you be (and remain) successful with ooma. :P

Yes!! definitely will...

This seems like a great alive forum, I'm glad to have found people so awesome as lbmofo, you southsound, murphy and even EA PA, I'm really grateful for all the great help, hopefully this will make it so that soon I can also help other new people who might need it here :)

I will run the rest of my tests tomorrow and post results...
#78687 by EA PA
Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm
I wanted to use the OOMA Phone connection to my new DECT 6 base and use the wireless system without using the house copper at all. Despite the sign (dont forget to do this) that was mentioned before regarding NOT re-connecting the street line back up in the NID, when I finally get the attention of my phone co to actually disconnect me, my fear is that they would connect it up anyway as a last slap in the face. So I actually taped the RJ11 as well with electrical tape. I could not use the copper free approach due to limits of my home configuration (as you do as well I see). When I built I neglected to run a pair of CAT 5 to the location that I actually want my OOMA. I want to keep it Modem/OOMA/router and the location of my outlet is not easy to modify to run more wire due to wall tiling and a not so understanding bride when it comes to home modifications requiring sawing / drywall dust etc. So I too was forced into using the house copper. Good luck with everything.
#78698 by highq
Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:41 am

Not quite. Ignore the Telo's Wall jack -- that is used ONLY for land-line integration, which you don't seem to be using now (and thus will never, ever use). Connect the Telo's Phone jack to the nearest jack in the wall.