Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78586 by Ely
Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:38 pm
Hi everyone;

I'm new to this forum and also new to Ooma, for now I'm just trying the service and see if it's good enough I will just port my home phone number which is currently with my local phone company, I have some questions though and would love it if someone can answer me:

1-) Let's say something happens to the phone cabling inside your house, if something breaks in the physical connections of the phone system in the house, who do I call for repairs? currently I pay my phone company an monthly insurance for that which has me covered.

2-) It is my understanding that we must pay monthly taxes for the service; how are these paid? do you get a monthly bill or do you pay this at the end of the year as a yearly fee or something around those lines?

3-) If in the future something happens that I decide to go back to my local phone company, will Ooma release my phone number back to the phone company with no problems or will I loose my number?

Thanks a lot in advance!
#78588 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm
Ely wrote:Hi everyone;

I'm new to this forum and also new to Ooma, for now I'm just trying the service and see if it's good enough I will just port my home phone number which is currently with my local phone company, I have some questions though and would love it if someone can answer me:

1-) Let's say something happens to the phone cabling inside your house, if something breaks in the physical connections of the phone system in the house, who do I call for repairs? currently I pay my phone company an monthly insurance for that which has me covered.

Most people don't need housewiring anymore if only telephone handsets are involved. DECT 6.0 phones just need 1 phone jack for the base (plug into Ooma in this case) and all associated handsets won't need a wall jack. If you really need to use the house wiring, you can do that too. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about inside house wiring breaking. That was a nice way for the telephone company to make money; insuring something that is unlikely to break. If it does break and you can't fix it yourself, then an electrician would be needed; or a buddy that knows about these things. :)

2-) It is my understanding that we must pay monthly taxes for the service; how are these paid? do you get a monthly bill or do you pay this at the end of the year as a yearly fee or something around those lines?

If you are on a monthly tax schedule (look at your retail box; unless it says yearly, it is monthly), then it would be taken out of the credit card on file on a monthly basis. You can look here for your billing history: https://my.ooma.com/account/billing_history

3-) If in the future something happens that I decide to go back to my local phone company, will Ooma release my phone number back to the phone company with no problems or will I loose my number?

You can port your number out of Ooma; no problem.

Welcome to Ooma.
Thanks a lot in advance!
#78601 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 am
Thanks lbmofo, that pretty much answers my questions, I really appreciate your help, the cabling things does worry me a bit because of my setup I really need to the use the cables as the place where my Telo needs to be located would not be the best place to put the base of my cordless phones, I guess if problems arises I would just call the phone company and get service with them for a month or so so they fix any issues then disconnect ;) otherwise look for someone in my area who does this kind of work.
#78659 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 pm
Thanks so much again lbmofo, after checking out the phone company box outside the house this is what I have, It says Customer Access in there right before the arrows, not sure if can read it good, one of the screws is a regular one, easy to loosen, however the upper one is weird, no idea how to open that, any ideas would be greately appreciated!
Attachments
WP_000006 (Medium).jpg
Screws
WP_000006 (Medium).jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
WP_000005 (Medium).jpg
Telephone Network Interface
WP_000005 (Medium).jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
#78662 by southsound
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm
The regular screw is the only one that secures the Customer Access side. Once you remove that screw a portion of the cover will open and inside you will find one or more little modular cords plugged into little jacks. If you just unplug the plugs from the jacks, that will disconnect your home from the utility. As a point of information, the jack is wired to the utility, the short cord with plug is wired to your home wiring. It is designed so you can just plug a corded phone into the jack to see if the utility is at fault during a disruption of service. Some of the newer boxes have little swing-away plugs that work the same way.
#78668 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm
Thank you so much southsound, following your instructions and pictures I was able to open the box, now I did some tests, as you can see in the picture bellow there are two phone cords that go into plugs, if I remove the one on the RIGHT side of the box, then I no longer have the phone company's dial tone on the phones throughout the house, if I just unplug the one in the left side, then I continue to have dial tone, should I just unplug the one in the right side, or both?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Attachments
WP_000008 (Large).jpg
Inside The Box
WP_000008 (Large).jpg (197.13 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
#78669 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm
Looks like no house wires are connected to the left plug (screw terminals are empty without wires). You can leave the plug on the left connected but it won't hurt anything if you unplug that one as well. After unplugging the plug on the right, it might be a good idea to attach a tag that says something like: "Warning. Please do not reconnect. Connecting to telephone company will damage customer equipment."
#78671 by Ely
Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:14 pm
Thanks lbmofo buddy,

So just to make sure I understood this correctly, when my transfer is complete, I just open that box and unplug both phone cords from their respective plugs, then attach that note there for security, then connect a phone cable from the Telo "Wall" outlet to the nearest phone jack and I should then have the Ooma dial tone throughout the house right?