Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78431 by PanamaYellow
Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:48 pm
I wanted to send FAXs out using line 2 (Premier service), which I've set up to be in FAX mode all the time.
I asked Ooma support; they told me that FAXs could only be sent out on line 1.

Here's what I did:
Created a speed-dial number in my multifunction printer containing: **1, (tell Ooma to use line 2, then pause)
To transmit a FAX on line 2, press that speed-dial and then enter the destination phone number.

It works a treat; the receiving FAX machine told me that the FAX had been sent from the phone number associated with line 2.

Offered for the benefit of the Ooma community,

PanamaYellow
#78641 by jcandali
Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm
Good tip...

I did it a little differently. My fax machine allows me to specify a key sequence to dial before all outbound calls. It's useful if you are in an office building that requires you to dial 9 before making an outbound call. Instead of 9 I just put in **1, and it automatically switches to line 2 before dialing the fax number I input. :)
#78728 by kdlh2
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:41 pm
If your fax machine supports distinctive ringing, you can setup the 2nd line on Ooma to ring a certain pattern which will trigger the fax to pickup. We used to have the Ringmaster service on our POTS line through Bellsouth for just this reason.
#81421 by dnhaney
Sat May 14, 2011 2:47 pm
> by PanamaYellow
> Here's what I did:
> Created a speed-dial number in my multifunction printer containing: **1, (tell Ooma to use line 2, then pause)
> To transmit a FAX on line 2, press that speed-dial and then enter the destination phone number

> by kdlh2
> If your fax machine supports distinctive ringing, you can setup the 2nd line on Ooma to ring a certain pattern which will trigger > the fax to pickup. We used to have the Ringmaster service on our POTS line through Bellsouth for just this reason.

Thank you for your help. To be more specific. When I "port" my phone numbers I ask for xyz to be ported as "line 1" and "abc" to be ported as "line 2". Is that correct? The use of **1 with the fax machine is clear, but how I setup the OOMA service to give a certain "distinctive ring" for "line 2" is not so clear. How do I setup "distinctive ring" for the second line with OOMA? I have not done this on my Brother MFC but I know it supports it. This suggests that I do not have to buy the extra Scout phones.

OOMA tells me I have to buy Scout phones if I want to use both lines and I have to connect the fax to the "main line". This discourages me from wanting to use the "Premier" service. It sounds like from the above responses you can just use the built in features of the fax machine to use the second line, and then plug in the main phone line into my house phone network so I can use my existing phones. I guess I will not be able to use line 2 for voice, but I dont really care about that. Any suggestions?

David
#81422 by kdlh2
Sat May 14, 2011 3:09 pm
I'm no longer a premier subscriber so I can't get to the screen anymore but there is an option in there to set distinctive ringing on the 2nd line. I believe it's under Phone Numbers or some menu like that.