Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78056 by klaberte
Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:46 am
I apologize if this already answered, I've been looking around for 20 minutes and haven't found it yet...

My in-laws have two phone numbers coming to their home. They would like to keep *both* phone numbers, i.e. both phone numbers will be ported.

Is there any way to do this with only 1 telo? Or do you need to buy 2 telos to accomplish this?

Thanks!
#78057 by murphy
Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:51 am
You can do it with one Telo but you must have Premier service on the Telo.
If you need to use both numbers at the same time you also need a Telo handset.
If you don't want Premier service then you would need two Telos.
#78062 by klaberte
Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 am
So, if they were OK with not using both lines at the same time, they could buy one telo, pay for the Premier service, and pay the porting fee twice (once for each of the numbers)? In this case, would you still plug two phones into the two phone lines of the telo (e.g. primary phone in line 1, fax machine in line 2)?
#78065 by tomcat
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 am
klaberte wrote:So, if they were OK with not using both lines at the same time, they could buy one telo, pay for the Premier service, and pay the porting fee twice (once for each of the numbers)? In this case, would you still plug two phones into the two phone lines of the telo (e.g. primary phone in line 1, fax machine in line 2)?

The telo does not have two separate phone lines. It has one true phone line that can have multiple numbers. The phone line port is labeled "Phone". The other port labeled "Wall" is only used if you are going integrate your landline with your telo.

You would plug both your phones and your fax machine into the same line. You will want to set the second number used for the fax machine with a different ring pattern than the primary number so that you know which number is being called. If the fax machine can distinguish the ring type, program you fax machine to only pick up on that particular ring pattern.

This may take a little getting used to from their current setup, but I believe it will be well worth it in the long run.
#78106 by southsound
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 pm
klaberte wrote:So, if they were OK with not using both lines at the same time, they could buy one telo, pay for the Premier service, and pay the porting fee twice (once for each of the numbers)? In this case, would you still plug two phones into the two phone lines of the telo (e.g. primary phone in line 1, fax machine in line 2)?

Since you can only have one true wired connection on a Telo, IMHO, a better way of doing it would be to use two Telo systems. One for the fax and one for the primary number. Premier would not be required unless you wanted to have the extra features on your voice Telo. The one used for faxing would see very little benefit from Premier. You can very easily have more than one Telo or even a combination of Telo and hub systems on one router or switch. I run one of each on my 1.5 MB DSL and have no problems.
#78114 by klaberte
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:11 am
So here's another wrinkle. My understanding is that both the second line and the fax are used very rarely, and currently the fax machine is rarely plugged in. Further, the second line's function is essentially only used to inform the caller that the number they called is no longer monitored, and that the caller should call back on another number (and then gives that number).

In other words, the second line serves essentially only as an outgoing message. I am thinking of turning the ringer off and dis-allowing incoming message recording. So, it seems that the $10/month is basically going to be a service that plays an outgoing message. Is there another better (cheaper) solution for simply playing an outgoing message on a ported number?
#78115 by murphy
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 am
It sounds to me like it's time to "bite the bullet" and do away with the second line completely. Surely by now anyone that had the second number has learned to use the first number.
#78116 by klaberte
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:09 am
My father-in-law is a doctor who is moving towards retirement. He feels strongly that he should keep this number (it was his old primary work number) for former patients to contact him. Giving up the number is not an option for him.
#78126 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am
klaberte wrote:My father-in-law is a doctor who is moving towards retirement. He feels strongly that he should keep this number (it was his old primary work number) for former patients to contact him. Giving up the number is not an option for him.

A solution that might work for you. I suppose your number is still with a landline company?

Port this number to a Tmobile prepaid. Buy $5 or $10 in prepaid minutes. Then call Tmobile customer service to port your number over to the Prepaid account.

Sign up with Google Voice. After number ported over to Tmobile, port your number from Tmobile to Google Voice for $20. Currently Google Voice only allows port ins from cell phones.

Now you can confgure your GV outgoing message and just have it take VMs or you can forward it to another number.

If you need to take incoming faxes, http://k7.net is a great free VM and incoming fax service. Only catch is you have to keep the number active every 30 days; just call yourself every 30 days and leave a message. Unfortunately, you can't forward your Google Voice to your K7 number because there is no way to validate your K7 number on Google Voice.
#78135 by klaberte
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 am
lbmofo, I really like your idea! I didn't know you could port a land-line to a pre-paid cell account. Have people done this and can verify it works, or are you speculating?

Many thanks!!!

Ken