Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78003 by mike.a.p
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am
So I have just installed Ooma using Option 2A, but now when I try to connect to my computers web server I get the ooma Setup page. Tried connecting ooma on my router (Option 2B), but I still can't get to my web server.

What do I need to do (say using option 2A) to allow me to get to my computers web server. Is there a config setup on the ooma setup page to allow me to access my web server - I'm running Windows XP.
#78005 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am
mike.a.p:
Connect your Ooma device's Internet Port to one of your router's LAN ports.

Connect nothing to your Ooma device's Home port. (Except temporarily connecting a computer for making adjustments to Ooma Setup if required later).

Connect your Computers/web server to one of your router's LAN ports also.

If you don't have enough router LAN ports, purchase a Switch to connect to one of the router's LAN Ports. (A switch is a port multiplier which will take/pass IP addresses assigned from a router to any device connected to the switch.)

Many people use this method of connection and have no problems at all. If you should have problems with Phone Quality of Service, post those problems here and someone will give help instructions for corrections.
#78058 by P&K
Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 am
You mite need a ethernet 10/100 hub to route around ooma phone.
gose as follows Modem/Hub/Ooma and to access the internet pull it from the hub not through oomas device.
I assume you have a network setup and have some sort of router system so dont let ooma be routed into your network.
#78063 by tomcat
Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 am
P&K wrote:You mite need a ethernet 10/100 hub to route around ooma phone.
gose as follows Modem/Hub/Ooma and to access the internet pull it from the hub not through oomas device.
I assume you have a network setup and have some sort of router system so don't let ooma be routed into your network.

P&K - I think you mean a 10/100 switch. However, if you put the switch between the modem and the Ooma (and plug the router into the switch as well) then this setup would require 2 public IPs from the ISP. Most ISPs will only provide one. At least they do in my area.

mike.a.p - I second thunderbird's recommendation. This is the most common setup. If you were able to access your web server prior to installing Ooma, then adding the Ooma behind the router as described shouldn't effect that accessibility.
#78074 by nn5i
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:54 pm
P&K wrote:You [might] need [an] ethernet 10/100 hub to route around ooma phone.
[Goes] as follows Modem/Hub/Ooma and to access the internet pull it from the hub not through oomas device.
I assume you have a network setup and have some sort of router system so [don't] let ooma be routed into your network.

I'd strongly recommend against Ethernet hubs. Use switches instead of hubs. The difference is that a switch can handle several communications at once and a hub cannot. Thus, if devices A, B, C, and D are connected to a switch, A can talk to B while C talks to D, without interference. If you used a hub instead of a switch, one of these conversations would have to wait for the other, and the whole network might bog down rather quickly.