Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77822 by EA PA
Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am
Good news (and bad). First the good! My in-laws purchased an OOMA. They signed up for premier and ported their existing number. The are not tech savvy at all. They paid a guy to install OOMA and disconnect from the street. The number ported within a week, he fired it and has been calling ever since without a single incident. I spoke to him prior to installation and mentioned that I may have to travel down with all my great forum knowledge and begin testing and tweeking to see where he is. I spoke with him this AM. Besides basic operations, needs no help and was chuckling. OOMA running perfect out of the box?!?! "using *98?" - answer; "huh, star wha"? "Adjust QoS"? - answer; "Q what?". :?

The bad news is, I have spent gobs of hours tweeking, reading, moving it around, adjusting, fiddling, booting, UPSing, DECT 6 ing etc. Was feeling pretty good about now using *98 with good relaibility. Never thought of "out of the box" :shock: Redo?

Anyway, OOMA out of the box success reported!
Last edited by EA PA on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
#77824 by southsound
Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:57 am
I've actually had similar experience with my production systems and I believe that this is a more normal experience than most realize. Here on the forum we hear about problems because this is where a person comes for support - but if things work, there is not even much of a need to check the forum out.

The REALLY good news is that your in-laws are happy with your recommendation. If they weren't, I can guarantee you would hear about it from their daughter - your bride. Now you are the hero because you saved her folks some money and they are happy with the purchase. A wise person once said, "happy wife, happy life." Thanks for the great testimony of their success!
#77826 by EA PA
Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 am
southsound wrote:I've actually had similar experience with my production systems and I believe that this is a more normal experience than most realize. Here on the forum we hear about problems because this is where a person comes for support - but if things work, there is not even much of a need to check the forum out.

The REALLY good news is that your in-laws are happy with your recommendation. If they weren't, I can guarantee you would hear about it from their daughter - your bride. Now you are the hero because you saved her folks some money and they are happy with the purchase. A wise person once said, "happy wife, happy life." Thanks for the great testimony of their success!

Good points! Honestly though, the OOMA recommendation came from the In-laws brother who recommended to both of us. I just got there first so I cant take credit. Oh and by the way, he has no issues either. Forgot to mention that the best part he told me was telling his telco to pound sand....
#77860 by danlisman
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm
Since uncle Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob on your wife's side made the recommendation, I think you should get a free pass for any complaints your bride might have about your "project Telo".
It sounds like her family lives by the motto "if it works don't fix it". Where's the fun in that?
:)
#77872 by EA PA
Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 am
danlisman wrote:Since uncle Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob on your wife's side made the recommendation, I think you should get a free pass for any complaints your bride might have about your "project Telo".
It sounds like her family lives by the motto "if it works don't fix it". Where's the fun in that?
:)

LOL - good point, yea agree. I should get some sort of pass. I feel moved to go down and run a battery of tests to compare the results to mine; great science project - I looked up his number and he has the same Choice One carrier also. However, I had this great fear that should I do that testing and an OOMA gremlin appears a few days later - who do you think will get the blame?

Maybe the steath approach, a casual visit, kindly ask to check my email with his laptop, quietly plug in the thumb drive with all the testing sites and send the results to my email....hmm possibilities. If busted however - consequences are harsh... "my parents said OOMA never worked properly after your visit and tinkering", bla bla bla... pass

Bride feels different about the tinkering .. :P