Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77717 by draco
Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm
Recently ATT has been making noise that they are going limit internet service to 250GB a month for full Uverse and150GB for their Broadband /DSl service. How is this going to affect OOMA usage. Currently ATT is the only one talking this. How ever if they do. Other service providers will most likely follow suit and do like wise. How is this going to affect OOMA and other internet phone service? Any Ideas?
#77719 by murphy
Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm
It will have no effect on Ooma. The Ooma data usage is almost negligible compare to those caps.

Comcast has had a 250 GB cap for years although they didn't publicize it until about a year and a half ago.
#77721 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:36 pm
This is what I observed via the iPhone Ooma app a while back.

lbmofo wrote:Ooma uses iLBC; there are conflicting reports on how much the codec uses per minute. However, I observed (through the info function during a call) ~140,000 bytes each way which translates to (depending on how you calc) ~137 Kbytes or 0.1335 Mbytes each way; this translates to about 750 minutes per 200 MB.

But this is what I read: "iLBC with IP/UDP/RTP headers should be about 35kbps or 4.375KB per sec. That's 525KB per minute if you are counting both directions. So a 200MB quota would yield 381 minutes."

Even if you are on the phone 24x7, you'd only use about 22GB/month.
#77804 by davidm
Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 am
I just want to say that you should speak out against these caps wherever you see them mentioned online. That's one of the best ways of preventing them. And when you see someone give arguments on why they are a good thing be aware that often these people are employees of the company in question or are hired by them. In other cases they are just ignorant users who have been convinced by the aforementioned parties.

Unlimited internet has been the standard for most of the US for nearly 15 years. With prices being about the same or higher in some cases there is no reason to start with 150GB caps. Technology is supposed to move forwards and become cheaper as time goes on. Not go backwards and become more expensive. These companies want to take advantage of us. Do not let them. Fight!
#77856 by scoutconnor
Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:53 pm
davidm wrote:I just want to say that you should speak out against these caps wherever you see them mentioned online. That's one of the best ways of preventing them. And when you see someone give arguments on why they are a good thing be aware that often these people are employees of the company in question or are hired by them. In other cases they are just ignorant users who have been convinced by the aforementioned parties.

Unlimited internet has been the standard for most of the US for nearly 15 years. With prices being about the same or higher in some cases there is no reason to start with 150GB caps. Technology is supposed to move forwards and become cheaper as time goes on. Not go backwards and become more expensive. These companies want to take advantage of us. Do not let them. Fight!

+1
I agree completely.