Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78071 by mrbill16
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:41 pm
I am also having the problem with Vonage numbers. In addition, when I call a Fairpoint customer with voicemail, their phone rings several times and then dead air. However, if I precede the number with *98, it works well.

Obviously, this is not acceptable. If anyone out there has some insider info on the possibility of a fix, or even if Ooma acknowledges the problem, I'd be grateful. I have about 2 weeks left until my 30 day return is up at Best Buy. If I hear nothing, I'll keep my Broadvoice service, even though they keep tacking on fees. At least it works.

BTW, I'm on the East Coast, if that make any difference.

Thanks,
#78075 by tomcat
Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 pm
lbmofo wrote:this issue is not impacting all Ooma users (likely isolated with certain carriers).

For me, this is hit-and-miss even within the same carrier. My brother, my wife's sister, and ourselves all have the same carrier for our landlines, but we only see the issue when we call my wife's sister (consistently). We just know to dial *98 before we call her and all is well.

mrbill16 wrote:... If anyone out there has some insider info on the possibility of a fix, or even if Ooma acknowledges the problem, I'd be grateful.

While I don't have the treads handy, I believe Ooma has in fact acknowledged the problem. I do know they have when I have call their support line regarding the issue. However, I haven't seen any reference to an expected date for a fix.

Even though Ooma knows about the problem, I would still recommend that you call them so they know you have the issue as well. Be sure to have the dates, times, and the phone numbers you are seeing the issue with. They will ask for the info.
#78077 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 pm
mrbill16 wrote:I am also having the problem with Vonage numbers. In addition, when I call a Fairpoint customer with voicemail, their phone rings several times and then dead air. However, if I precede the number with *98, it works well.

Obviously, this is not acceptable. If anyone out there has some insider info on the possibility of a fix, or even if Ooma acknowledges the problem, I'd be grateful. I have about 2 weeks left until my 30 day return is up at Best Buy. If I hear nothing, I'll keep my Broadvoice service, even though they keep tacking on fees. At least it works.

BTW, I'm on the East Coast, if that make any difference.

Thanks,

The most important thing is to report your problem to Ooma Customer Support, along with dates, times, phone numbrs and the phone service provider that owns the number that you are trying to contact. It almost seems like a one-by-one fix for Ooma, so it takes them some time to have corrections made.

Contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#78082 by EA PA
Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 pm
I have not had any option but to use *98 since I got OOMA. My test numbers all look good and I have done everything conceivable to get better quality, without the workaround. I have spent many hours and hours testing and tuning and testing.

To make things absolutely horrid (I will post this and data in a separate thread tonight), I went to a relatives who just plugged OOMA in for the first time a few days ago and has had no issues at all, located an hour away, same carrier etc. No workaround required. Just turned on, plugged into wall - done.

:? I had to do it - took a thumb drive with testing sites on it and slipped it into his laptop and ran some of the tests that I run. After running these over and over, to my amazement his numbers are SO BAD that the first thing this forum would recommend is throwing away the modem. Speeds at 150K, UL QOS between 0 - that's right 0 to about 20, jitter and speed graphs that just end half way though test etc... :shock:

At one point, I had to give it a drive - picked up and called my own cell phone. Worked perfectly... Scowling the whole way home. Now staring at my OOMA... :x