Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77696 by Venkatrr
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm
Hi,

I searched the user forum for this similar problem and could not come across one. Hence posting it here.

I have been using ooma for the past 3 months and the call quality is excellent. The ooma telo i have connected next to cox modem and before the router. I was using vonage before and did number porting from vonage to ooma.

When i call a vonage customer initially the phone rings at the far end. The far side picks up the handset and quips hello. For about first 10 seconds I do not hear anything while the far side is able to hear what i say. After about 10 seconds, i get the line and both are able to hear each other and conversations continue without any issues.

Problem statement - calls from my ooma system to local (480) numbers has this above problem. For all calls to vonage customers outside of 480 numbers the calls do not have this problem. All other local and remote carrier calls are working perfectly fine.

When i called ooma, the support person, checked the regular stuff and made me connect the telo behind the modem. It did not resolve but the call was disconnected after 40 minutes.

Second time, I called ooma for this and the support person told me that problem is in the vonage side and they have to remove some entry for my home phone number in vonage tables. I called vonage and they said, I am not a vonage customer anymore and they have nothing that they can do for me.
#77698 by EA PA
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10897&start=0

Strangely familiar. I have had the exact same symptoms to cell phones. Recently, the problem seems to have been resolved. I recommend contacting Bobby B or NToy via email. I am not sure its completely resolved, but definitely behaving better than before. Try *98 also
#77705 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:56 pm
Venkatrr wrote:Thanks EA PA and ntoy.

I tried calling with the prefix of *99 and did have the problem resolved. But the far side complained of echo though I did not have any issues.

Thanks for your time and advise.

Thanks

Venkat Ramamoorthy

If you have a telo, use *98 instead to get rid of echo for this workaround.
#77708 by Venkatrr
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm
Thanks Ibminfo and EA PA.

When I dial with *98 - this resolved the issue. I am able to hear the far side from the moment I get the connection and neither of us heard any echo. I tried with 2 different vonage numbers and both worked good. I need to try couple more before deciding either way.

Is there any permanent solution? What is the reason this problem is surfacing, any idea?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Venkat Ramamoorthy
#77709 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 pm
My guess: it is due to Ooma's carrier(s) having trouble handling iLBC (default codec) that Ooma uses. Not sure if Ooma has found a permanent solution to this; this issue is not impacting all Ooma users (likely isolated with certain carriers).
#77730 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am
lbmofo wrote:My guess: it is due to Ooma's carrier(s) having trouble handling iLBC (default codec) that Ooma uses. Not sure if Ooma has found a permanent solution to this; this issue is not impacting all Ooma users (likely isolated with certain carriers).

lbmofo - I thought everyone or at least most were having these issues. Do you see this as an East coast vs West coast thing? You think its carrier specific (obviously from above)? If so, have you compiled a list? Do you have to *98?
#77734 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 am
EA PA wrote:
lbmofo wrote:My guess: it is due to Ooma's carrier(s) having trouble handling iLBC (default codec) that Ooma uses. Not sure if Ooma has found a permanent solution to this; this issue is not impacting all Ooma users (likely isolated with certain carriers).

lbmofo - I thought everyone or at least most were having these issues. Do you see this as an East coast vs West coast thing? You think its carrier specific (obviously from above)? If so, have you compiled a list? Do you have to *98?

I have had no issues. All family/friends here on the west coast have no issues (North West mostly), we are all with XO. Except one family in southern CA is with Level 3 (used to be with O1); no issues either. I have no idea whether this is only carrier related and/or location based :)
Ooma carriers: viewtopic.php?t=9954
#77743 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 am
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:

I have had no issues. All family/friends here on the west coast have no issues (North West mostly), we are all with XO. Except one family in southern CA is with Level 3 (used to be with O1); no issues either. I have no idea whether this is only carrier related and/or location based :)
Ooma carriers: viewtopic.php?t=9954

Im glad that you guys have no issues. Im with Choice One. I was curious if you guys had fingered them as one of the bad players. :? . I'm getting there though. I have my young one trained to *98. I saw it in action! I hope one day to be as happy as the tech savvy west coast OOMA club users.. I'll keep trying a few times per month without the magic to see if I get any better results. Thanks :!: