Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#81834 by tomcat
Sat May 21, 2011 1:49 pm
lavulavu88 wrote:I am in the same situation just like rharkins. Just got my old number ported and found out my temporarily assigned number is now my second phone number!!! And it will cost $20 if I want to change. I thought I've read it somewhere that once the port is complete, the temp number will be put back in the pool and ready for reuse... hmmm... This is not a good business practice... there should be a clear explanation when a new customer want to port a number... unless I totally missed it. Was there a fine print somewhere??? Somehow I feel like being cheated...!

Here's the documentation stating that your ported number should have replaced your temp number.

Just to cover all bases, prior to the completion of my number being ported, I sent an email to CS requesting my temp number be removed from my account when my port completed (just in case). Three minutes after receiving my email that my port had been completed I received a second email that my request to remove my temp number had also been completed. Hope this helps others.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/147
What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?

Once your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, it will replace your temporary number as the default phone number for your Ooma account. Your temporary number will be released back into the pool of available numbers. If you would like to keep your temporary number permanently, you can contact Customer Care by emailing loa@ooma.com at any time during the number porting process to request that your temporary number be assigned as a virtual number on your account.
#81847 by nn5i
Sat May 21, 2011 6:07 pm
I confess all this leaves me a little mystified. It's not a name, it's a number, for Gosh sakes. Who cares what it is? Why would anyone care what it is, except for having an area code and exchange that's a free call for your non-Ooma friends?

I can see it now:

"Oh, Mrs Liddell, I'm so thrilled your new little baby girl is so lovely. What number did you give her?"

"Uh, we didn't give her a number. We gave her a name, Alice. Actually two names, Alice Pleasance."

"A name? Why on Earth?"

"Well, we wanted Mr Dodgson to have someone to name his character after. You know, Alice in Wonderland."

"Oh. What a strange guy. Couldn't he just call her 932-555-1212 in Wonderland?"

'Nah, too hard to say. Beautiful idea, though. Oh, well, as Shakespeare said, what's in a number?"

"Yeah, numbers are wonderful. Maybe some day Sam Clemens will write a novel about 356-432-0187 Finn."

"Yeah, maybe so. But my daughter is named Alice, whether anyone likes it or not."

""Well, have a nice day. Been nice knowin' ya. Ciao."

"Ciao."
#81849 by EA PA
Sat May 21, 2011 6:34 pm
Really? asking me about wrinkled brown cigarettes? :?
#81891 by lbmofo
Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 am
nn5i wrote:It's not a name, it's a number, for Gosh sakes. Who cares what it is? Why would anyone care what it is, except for having an area code and exchange that's a free call for your non-Ooma friends?

This dude or gal seems to have a cool number: http://careeractioncenter.edcc.edu/_job ... ume_2.html
Someone probably has said "There is NO Lee here!" too many times :)
#81892 by nn5i
Sun May 22, 2011 12:45 pm
A friend here in Tallahassee, about 40 years ago, had the number 876-5432 which had the advantage of being easy to remember. But names can be easy to remember, too.