Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79877 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am
nn5i wrote:Forgive them. Concise writing is not among their gifts.

Guilty as charged. :D
#81988 by OomaGirl
Mon May 23, 2011 1:51 pm
hari wrote:Whenever my hub goes belly up, I could simply buy a telo and as a "Previous Ooma Hub Owner" transfer my service to it?

The answer is yes CURRENTLY. What if they change their policy in a month or many months, before you need it?

I am trying to decide if I should get the extended warranty too. I have the core without fees and it died after 10.5 months of use. I was busy and waited (without the phone working) for over a month before complaining, so I am about to receive the replacement. I don't know if it will be a core or telo, didn't ask. I guess I don't care either way, but will complain if I am assessed fees.

Last year I was really happy to have the Ooma, as my cellphone plan had limited minutes. These days I have a cell with unlimited minutes. I was somewhat satisfied with the quality of Ooma but just OK, not that happy. So, I wonder how much I need it. On the other hand, it would suck if my replacement dies in less than a year, and that's the end of it... meaning I would have gotten under 22.5 months of service for the upfront device cost I paid ($220 or so). Yeah, not bad, but I had hoped for more -- they are not supposed to be 1 or 2 year expiring devices. (Also in the coming year I might not use it nearly as much as last year. I'm going to think about how much use I'll get from it.)

I think the replacement should come with a free 1 year or at least 6 mo. Otherwise, what if the replacement works but dies in 2 weeks?! Then I have only gotten 11 months of service for my $220. (I have paid for a few months of Premier too, was worth it except for the time when my device was dead so I had zero service.) Even their refurbs come with 4-6 months, and they think a device should last 5 years, so a replacement should be based on the actual device not based on the fact that I've been an Ooma customer. A year isn't much to ask since failing within a year is pitiful.

Would help if the warranty cost less, like $29.95. Probably for $40 that covers their costs of shipping, handling, customer service, and manufacturing. I was a bit frustrated with the phone service, the reps seem to be in India. Anyway I would hate to buy the warranty and have the device die in 13 months.
#82390 by OomaGirl
Fri May 27, 2011 4:42 pm
The replacement they sent me is the same as my original device, btw. Not a telo. But again, that could change.

And I am still trying to decide about the $40 warranty. If I do NOT buy it, then whenever it fails (1 month to 6 or more years), I would have to spend $200 on a Telo I guess. Maybe catch a sale for $180 or less. But I read a bunch of people disliked the telo and went back to the hub. And I definitely want all my same features without being premier, I have free CID and no tax and care about voicemail.

I feel like it's risky either way. Warranties should be cheap enough that you want it, and feel protected, and are happy. Too bad I didn't buy squaretrade.
#82403 by Cyberchat
Sat May 28, 2011 9:53 am
For what its worth, you can purchase an OOMA Telo at Costco for about $180.
#82416 by hari
Sat May 28, 2011 5:45 pm
Would it be possible to purchase a used hub from craigslist or ebay and transfer the service to that without the service T&C changing? I read about some sort of transfer fees, but not sure if that is only specific to transferring to new a/cs or also applicable to existing a/cs.
#82419 by OomaGirl
Sat May 28, 2011 5:57 pm
I bet the $80 fee would apply.

Also maybe this was discussed already, burt I believe you'd need a Premier account to get the no-tax deal transferred to a Hub.
#82425 by Mr. Mom
Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 pm
I think the extended warranty might be a good idea. It seems that my Telo unit just broke and I've had it activated for 13 months. If it truly is broken, the cost would be very similar to that of a land line, only not quite as good. Totally wish I had the extended warranty, now.
#82428 by thunderbird
Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 pm
Mr. Mom wrote:I think the extended warranty might be a good idea. It seems that my Telo unit just broke and I've had it activated for 13 months. If it truly is broken, the cost would be very similar to that of a land line, only not quite as good. Totally wish I had the extended warranty, now.

Sometimes when it's close, you can extend your warranty for fourty dollars.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... ZUQ4dms%3D
Then call contact Ooma Customer Support.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#82521 by hari
Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 am
OomaGirl wrote:Also maybe this was discussed already, burt I believe you'd need a Premier account to get the no-tax deal transferred to a Hub.

Could you clarify? It was confirmed multiple times in this thread that (based on the current rules) you will be able transfer your current plan (involving no tax and surcharge) to a new hub or telo device.
#82526 by OomaGirl
Tue May 31, 2011 1:52 pm
Well I looked into it more. Their long blog post from Oct 09 says you can only transfer your account and keep no-fees, if you are Premier or a Core user, not a basic Hub user. But, maybe none of those users (Hub users with no-fees) exist anyway.

I want HD quality but would probably dislike Telo compared to the Hub. HD quality probably trumps the downsides of Telo for me, but I'm not going to pay a bunch to switch. It does say you can sell your used Hub, but the new owner will pay over $71 in fees.