Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77244 by zten
Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 am
I have observed an issue that is puzzling. Normally, I have internet speed of about 22Mbps up and 3.2Mbps on my cable modem. However, I have now repeated it 3 times in a row, if I get a Voicemail, the speed drops to about 18Mbps up and 300kbps down. Nothing will bring it back -- rebooting the computer, modem or router will not help. BUT then rebooting the Ooma DOES fix it. All will be good then until I get the next Ooma system VM. Then again, rebooting the Ooma fixes it.

Anyone else observe this? Is there a fix for this?
#77246 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 am
How is your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router?
If so, measure your average Internet upload/download speeds using http://www.speedtest.net/.
Go into "Ooma Setup" by typing http://172.27.35.1, than clicking on "Advanced" at the left side of window that just opened. Go down to Quality of Service. Adjust numbers for Upstream/Downstream (Upload/Download) speeds to about 80% of the average results of the Speedtest.Net speed results. Click on "Update" and reboot the Ooma device. Try it. Note: 80% is a starting point and you might have to slightly adjust upward or downward speeds according to your setup.
#77352 by zten
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 pm
yes, I am modem-ooma-router. Thanks for the advice, but I am confused on "adjust upward or downward speeds".

So when I change this, will I see the VM issue be impacted, but not entirely fixed? Like maybe instead of dropping from 22 to 18, it will only drop from 22 to 21 and likewise for upload maybe instead for dropping from 3.2 to 0.3 it will drop from 3.2 to 2.5... and it is these numbers in the ooma setup speed that will adjust this? I can understand my speed dropping when I am on the phone (as BW has to be shared), but why should it drop at all only after a VM is heard and deleted and stay low forever after that?

Will I be making some kind of trade-off with voice quality as I adjust this number and should I be listening for that?

Again, thanks for the advice!
#77525 by zten
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 am
I changed the settings last night, while the wife was using the phone. :o I set uplink to 2560kbps and down link to 17.6Mbps, both of which are 80% of max. She complained of nothing, which is the first good sign. Then the next good sing is I did the speed test still while she was talking and speeds were around 21Mbps down and 1500kbps up. Downlink seems set idea. Uplink still seems sub-optimal. So should I try pushing the uplink higher than 80% and see what happens?
#77591 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:37 am
zten wrote:So should I try pushing the uplink higher than 80% and see what happens?

Yes I would try some more different settings just to see what happens. You can always change it back if your QoS become worse.