Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#76448 by dsinternet
Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:40 am
I do not know if this is a google voice or an Ooma problem. When I call my father using his Google voice number and using my non-google voice Ooma I can't hear him for the first 20 sec, but he can hear me. If he calls my home Ooma number using his google voice to ring back his home phone he can not hear me for about 20 sec, but I can hear him.
It's been about a month or so of this problem. We have both learned to wait 20 seconds when we first hear dead air. After about 10-20 seconds the audio always works.
Anyone else have this problem?
#76535 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:26 pm
dsinternet:
A couple of things to try, (Eliminate Ooma MAC address spoofing):
a. Access your Ooma device's “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma device’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs. (If your router and computer is connected behind the Ooma device, skip to step b.)
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.

The next thing to try is:
If your Ooma device is connected behind your Router, reserve a static IP address for your Ooma device, in your router. Than Place the Ooma device's static IP address in the router's DMZ.
#76580 by dsinternet
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am
Changing the Modem port MAC address to built in did not work.
My ooma is after the router and I do not understand the thing about getting a Static IP.
Do I get it from my Ooma or from my router?
I did put the Ooma's MAC address as the highest priority on my router.
But that did not do anything ether.

Update: I tried calling my dad's google voice number using my cell phone (instead of my Ooma phone) and it worked fine. I then tried calling my personal google voice number that rings my cell phone from my Ooma phone and that also worked fine.
It seems to only be a problem with my dad's google voice number and my Ooma phone. That pairing seems to be the problem. I don't understand.
#76601 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 pm
dsinternet wrote:Changing the Modem port MAC address to built in did not work.
My ooma is after the router and I do not understand the thing about getting a Static IP.
Do I get it from my Ooma or from my router?
I did put the Ooma's MAC address as the highest priority on my router.
But that did not do anything ether.

Update: I tried calling my dad's google voice number using my cell phone (instead of my Ooma phone) and it worked fine. I then tried calling my personal google voice number that rings my cell phone from my Ooma phone and that also worked fine.
It seems to only be a problem with my dad's google voice number and my Ooma phone. That pairing seems to be the problem. I don't understand.

How do you have your Ooma device connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

In the mean time maybe you should contact Ooma Customer Support and see what they have to say.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#76629 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:42 pm
When an Ooma device is connected behind the router, the reason for reserving a static IP address for the Ooma device in your Router, and than putting the Ooma device's IP address in your router's DMZ, is that some times a router will block ports required to make and continue Ooma phone calls. This procedure, (static IP address and DMZ) electronically moves the Ooma device to the Internet side of the router, allowing free access for all ports. Everything/all changes are done in your router. You have to read your router manual to see how this is done.

Call Ooma Support because some times Ooma Support can see things that we can't see, from their end.
#76638 by dsinternet
Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:08 pm
I will try your suggestion sometime soon. My father and I know to wait 20 seconds when we hear dead air. That's our work around right now, so no hurry. I also looked online and it seems like people have had a problem like this since 2009 and google is in no hurry to correct it.

As far as Ooma CS... I think this forum does a much better job.