Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75971 by Dwyne
Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am
I have read a lot of information about faxes in this forum but I am still stumped.

This Lexmark allows for faxing over VOIP. It is an option I checkes. I also set ECM to no, reduced the rate to 9600, and set the dial prefix to *99, (, for pausing). I also set my number in MyOoma to enable faxes. The Lexmark is plugged into the Telo phone plug.

When I fax, it dials, it connects, and it sends. Then I get a "fax modem error". What am I missing? This is frustrating.

Dwyne
#75991 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:09 pm
As I understand it, *99 is always needed when faxing out (with exception of dedicated fax line assigned to the main device with fax mode enabled; this hasn't yet been confirmed by ooma staff). highq just wanted you to try that I think.

Something else you can try is to put a DSL filter on the line connecting your fax machine to see if that helps.
#75995 by highq
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:31 pm
Quoting from Ooma's Support article on Faxing:

Sending Faxes
If you've set up your fax machine on a dedicated line, you're ready to send a fax.

If you have your phone and fax on the same line, Ooma needs to know that you are making a fax call so the connection can be optimized for fax transmissions. There are two ways to do this:

* Dial the prefix *99 before dialing the number you wish to reach OR
* Configure "fax mode" on your line (see instructions below).
#75997 by Dwyne
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm
Thanks ...

Yes I saw those instructions. It was an OR situation. I have done both because I tried the OR solution and it didn't work for my situation

Well ... I took your suggestion and added another ",". I have been able to fax error free 3 times in a row. So that may be the solution (for now). I will keep trying to see if it keeps working.