Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75900 by cbav8r
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 pm
I've been experiencing a strange connection problem. There are some numbers, not all, that when I place an outgoing call the other party can hear me but I won't be able to hear them for about 20 secs. For example, I'll call my office phone at work from ooma at home and it will ring about 5 times and go blank. What really happens is that it connects when the voicemail picks up but I can't hear the voicemail. When it happens and someone answers the phone, then I believe they can hear me but I won't hear them for about 20 secs. If they will stay on the line long enough, I'll be able to hear them fine afterwards.

I've posted some VOIP test results below. Of obvious note would seem to be the low upload QoS however the summary of the test tells me all is good. When I check the upload on speedtest.net, I usually get anywhere from .350 Mb/s to 3.0 Mb/s...plenty for what ooma tells me I need. If I check it while on the phone, it drops to about .25 Mb/s.

Anyone else out there seen anything like what is described above?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4290104 bps
Upload speed: 1387320 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 34 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 56 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 14400000bps
Route concurrency: 3.356562
Download TCP forced idle: 56 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps

Chad
#75917 by LarryS
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 pm
cbav8r wrote:I've been experiencing a strange connection problem. There are some numbers, not all, that when I place an outgoing call the other party can hear me but I won't be able to hear them for about 20 secs. For example, I'll call my office phone at work from ooma at home and it will ring about 5 times and go blank. What really happens is that it connects when the voicemail picks up but I can't hear the voicemail. When it happens and someone answers the phone, then I believe they can hear me but I won't hear them for about 20 secs. If they will stay on the line long enough, I'll be able to hear them fine afterwards.

I've posted some VOIP test results below. Of obvious note would seem to be the low upload QoS however the summary of the test tells me all is good. When I check the upload on speedtest.net, I usually get anywhere from .350 Mb/s to 3.0 Mb/s...plenty for what ooma tells me I need. If I check it while on the phone, it drops to about .25 Mb/s.

Anyone else out there seen anything like what is described above?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4290104 bps
Upload speed: 1387320 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 34 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 56 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 14400000bps
Route concurrency: 3.356562
Download TCP forced idle: 56 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps

Chad

Chad, you are not alone. Please see conversation thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10897
#75934 by EA PA
Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 am
I copied this into the common link in Quality Issues
#75984 by lawson
Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:43 pm
I called Ooma tech support yesterday, and hung up on them the first time because all I could hear was silence. I remembered seeing the other post, and waited the second time. Apparently they're answering tech support calls with Ooma, and have the same problem. :-P