Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75774 by tcarmen
Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:26 pm
I have an Ooma telo, and a wireless handset and a number of wired phones and one phone number (no second number)

The wired phones are connected to the "phone" port on the telo. Everything works fine,except that it seems to be misbehaving.

If a call comes in and I answer it on the handset, nobody else can pick up the call on any other phone. They just get a dialtone.

I know that somehow Ooma is trying to be helpful by allowing outgoing calls on the wired handsets when the wireless is in use, but I don't want this. I just want it to behave as a normal phone; ie. if I'm talking on any phone, picking up any other phone will join in the call.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
#75778 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:36 pm
If a call is answered using Telo handset, the phones connected to the "phone" port would get a dialtone when picking up (this works the same the other way around). This is the instant second line feature; you get a fresh dialtone. If you want to cut over to the line that is in progress, you have to press flash or talk to get to it.

My wife and daughter had issues with this at first as well. But now, if they don't want to get a dialtone, they know to press talk again.

If you want to have your phone system behave like a normal phone system, always answer using a phone connected to the phone port and have others cut in using phones connected to phone port as well.
Last edited by lbmofo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#75779 by tcarmen
Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:My wife and daughter had issues with this at first as well. But now, if they don't want to get a dialtone, they know to press talk again.

Unfortunately, my wife hates it.

I'll have to go back ti Time Warner if there's no way to fix this.
#75780 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:41 pm
I tried to put in this tidbit too late....to make sure you see it.

If you want to have your phone system behave like a normal phone system, always answer using a phone connected to the phone port and have others cut in using phones connected to phone port as well.

Example, plug in a DECT 6.0 multi handset phone system into the "phone" port. All handsets connected will not get fresh dialtone when picking up while phone call in progress given phone call is answered by 1 of the DECT 6.0 handsets. Only Telo handset will get a fresh dialtone.
#75782 by tcarmen
Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:02 pm
lbmofo wrote:Example, plug in a DECT 6.0 multi handset phone system into the "phone" port. All handsets connected will not get fresh dialtone when picking up while phone call in progress given phone call is answered by 1 of the DECT 6.0 handsets. Only Telo handset will get a fresh dialtone.

That would work. Thanks! Too bad I already bought the Ooma handset.

I'll have to pick up another wireless phone somewhere.

It seems like this should be a configuration option somewhere. It seems bizarre than it's the default and can't be turned off.
#75783 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm
I suppose it is one of those conscious decisions Ooma had to make. To provide the ability for an instant second line while being least invasive (default to fresh dialtone vs default to joining an ongoing conversation).
#87886 by paladin252
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 am
i wish this was an option i could choose in the ooma settings. i would love for my home phone (ooma) to act like a regular home phone. should be an opt-in type of feature, especially since i do not have an instant second line, and dont plan on getting one either.
#87888 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 am
The solution is really simple. If you want a single line phone system, buy multi phone dect 6 phones. We do this here in my home and it works just like a regular one line phone. You would have to do this no matter what phone system you used.
If you go back to T-Warner, you would have to use the multi phone dect 6 handsets to accomplish the same thing anyway, plus your cost will be much higher to do so.

AND

If another call comes in we answer it via the telo or our cell phones, which our ooma Telo system is forwarded over to.

The best of both worlds IMO.

Wayne