Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75515 by ptmuldoon
Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm
As the topic say's, I've been fighting an issue in connecting to my ftp server under normal/passive mode. Some background..

Setup is Modem -> Telo -> Router -> server.

I'm using Filezilla as my ftp client, and vsftpd (ubuntu) for for Server.

Within my LAN, I can connect with no issues.

From outside my LAN, under Active mode, I can connect to the server. But under normal/passive mode, I can connect, but than receive a timeout connection when attempting to get the directory listing.

I'm 99% sure this is ports issue's with Ooma using some higher ports, possibly in the 60000+ range that is causing a conflict.

Also, prior to the introduction of the ooma to the setup, ftp connected just fine both within and outside the LAN.

if anyone has a working ftp setup. Can you give some info on what ftp client and server your using, and is passive mode is working for you?

Thanks
#75517 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:06 pm
ptmuldoon:
Why not just place your Ooma device behind your router. Connect nothing to the Ooma device's home port.

Than you will have the best of both worlds.

Most people don't have any problems at all with the Ooma device placed behind (on the LAN side of) the router. But if you do, just post those problems and someone will help.
#75530 by ptmuldoon
Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm
I've actually had issues with the telo behind the router. One of which seems to be widely known issue here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10601

But yeah, I may have to live with the Quality issue and place it behind the router again, and than see about tweaking some QOS in routers settings.

I'm also about to introduce a gigabit switch into the setup, so hopefully that doesn't make things any more difficult.
#75531 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm
ptmuldoon:
I read your other posts. If you put your Ooma device behind the router do the following:
Reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router.
Put the Ooma device's static IP address in your router's DMZ.
Select "Use Built-In" MAC Address for the Ooma device Modem, access through a computer connected to the Ooma device's home port.

The gigabit switch added into the setup should function just fine.
#75532 by ptmuldoon
Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm
Hey Thunderbird.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give all it a shot here tomorrow morning and post back on the results. Hopefully, there's no quality issues, but only testing will tell us for sure.
#75533 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm
ptmuldoon:
With the Ooma device placed in your router's DMZ, the QoS should be the same as when the Ooma Device was connect behind your Modem.
Be sure to use the "Built-In" MAC address, it will add stability to you system.
#75570 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 am
Well, I put the Telo back behind the router.

My FTP connects correctly now since the Telo is now longer filtering things.

But I do still have some quality issues with the Telo, with voicemails not picking up correctly. This is with the router using DMZ to the static IP address of the Telo as well. But it seems sporadic, and I've been able to isolate a cause for it.

I've experimented in using the built in QOS in the telo and router, neither, both, etc, but haven't seen a change, with voicemails picking up sometimes, but mostly not correctly. Using *99 for the call does make it better though.

I'll probably add my switch into the mix in a few days or so after getting some other things wired, a patch panel set up, etc, but don't see it improving to much just yet.
#75574 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:47 am
ptmuldoon:
Did you select "Use Built-In: MAC Address in your Ooma device?:
a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.
#75596 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:26 pm
Yeah, I did all that. Reboots are the first thing any IT person with tell you!!

And yes, I'm using the Built-in mac-id on the telo. My last test call picked up the voiemail on my cell phone with no issues. But I still think its going to be a sporatic issue and may just dial out, and than nothing when a voicemail/machine picks up sometimes.

I'll try and keep track of it, and report back in day or so, maybe start a new topic to keep it on track.