Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75422 by Jerald
Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm
I have been using Ooma with really no problems for almost two years. I have been thinking of switching to DSL Extreme hoping for better lasting speeds and much better pricing than my current AT&T DSL.
Anyone else using DSL Extreme and happy with the results?
#75498 by czooma
Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 am
To answer your question: yes.

I have an ATT landline (north Orange County, CA) with DSL Extreme 3000/512 service on it. I've had DSL Extreme for about 5 years. Before that, I had ATT DSL service (I think it was called SBC Global back then), and was unhappy with it because every couple of weeks it would drop down to the lower speed tier, and I'd have to call them and have them fix it. Also, the speed only ran at full rate some of the time, although it was always within the stated range (it acted like cable service where it slows down when everyone comes home from work).

With DSL Extreme, I have lower ping times, it always runs at full speed, and I never have problems with it. So I've stayed with them. It's just rock solid.

ATT dry loop DSL would be cheaper, especially with their current promotions, but like I said, I wasn't happy with the performance.

Here's my setup: Speedstream DSL modem --> Ooma Core --> PIX 501 router. My ATT landline plugs into the Ooma "wall" port, and the Ooma seems to know to switch over to it during a power outage.

The Ooma service works beautifully with my setup.

I have the cheapest measured local phone service that ATT offers for my landline.

My current costs are as follows (prices include all taxes and fees): ATT landline $20.62/month. DSL Extreme $27.83/month. Ooma $0.00/month.

Before Ooma, I had ATT unlimited local and nationwide calling for my landline, which was $50.71/month, so I'm saving about $30/month. The slimeballs at ATT won't allow DSL Extreme to do dry loop, otherwise I could save an additional $20/month.
#75518 by Jerald
Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:12 pm
Thank you Czooma for your reply.

I've read and heard very good reviews about DSL Extreme and feel like pulling the plug on AT&T.
I was hoping that if I switched it would be "plug & play" with no interference to Omma, which is operating very well.

It may only be my personal thinking, but feel AT&T copper wire DSL has been a real problem for me since the release of the iphone. Pushing more bandwidth to try and satisfy the unhappy mobile users. They are getting to be more like cable feed with all the ups and downs.
#75522 by Jerald
Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm
I'm not sure, but would assume there is only one line routed into my location in Orange County, CA.
DSL Extreme probably is a reseller, AT&T would be contracted and obliged to give a stable bandwidth to this contractor.
#75552 by oomg
Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 am
Well... not Orange County, but my mother who lives in Burbank, uses the absolute least expensive option (i.e. slowest speed) available from DSL Extreme. Her Ooma Hub/Scout system work "Extremely" well... almost flawless.