Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5276 by leslied
Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:10 am
I recently got the Ooma, and I have not completed the porting process. I'm not sure if this will get better or worse or have no change after that.

My son says his games slow down with the Ooma installed. He also says when a call comes in,he gets kicked off.

This happens both on his computer and on his xbox.

We have a DSL gateway modem. The Xbox is plugged into the gateway where the Ooma is. His computer is connected wirelessly.

Any help?

Thanks.
#5284 by koehn
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:00 am
leslied wrote:I recently got the Ooma, and I have not completed the porting process. I'm not sure if this will get better or worse or have no change after that.

My son says his games slow down with the Ooma installed. He also says when a call comes in,he gets kicked off.

This happens both on his computer and on his xbox.

We have a DSL gateway modem. The Xbox is plugged into the gateway where the Ooma is. His computer is connected wirelessly.

Any help?

Thanks.

Make sure you update the QoS on the Ooma:

http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/12652/14888/article.asp?aid=261402&tab=faq&bt=4n&r=0.6062738
#5293 by leslied
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 am
Wayne
I am using DSL with 6.0 mbps. Do you have a different internet speed which might be helping you?
#5294 by WayneDsr
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 am
That's exactly what I have. The only difference might be that I have the ooma hub connected to my router, like any other computer, not in between the modem and router. I control all QOS through my router.

Wayne
#5298 by leslied
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 am
I don't have a router per se. I'm using a wireless gateway. It has extra ethernet ports so the Xbox is plugged into one of those. The Ooma hub is plugged into it also.

Sorry, I'm not a technical person. What is QoS?

Thanks for the help.
#5308 by lohertz
Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Home routers act as gateways. The job of the router is to direct packets of information to the correct destination in conjunction with the dhcp server. The function of this is to assign a unique ip address to each device connected to the network.

The ability to connect multiple devices to a single internet connection is done by gateway but is often referred to as a router. Basically it makes all the devices behind the gateway seem as one. The terms, in a residential setting, are interchangeable.

QoS is Quality of Service engine.

Routers/Gateways help "shape" packet traffic so that a steady stream of data is sent and received. Since data is sent in bursts, the breakup has to be reconnected at the receiving point, other wise the receiving device is waiting for the rest of the transmission to follow through. If a constant stream of data is not received it can make transmission difficult, even though you have high connection speeds.

The QoS engine acts like a police officer directing traffic, it manages the speed and flow of traffic coming in and out of the router/gateway and gives priority to more important devices.
#5316 by leslied
Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:51 pm
Thanks. When I get my computer back in a few days (I'm on my son's) I will look at my gateway settings and see what I can do. I might be back, though!
#5604 by leslied
Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:35 am
Sorry to be late in responding.

I was able to fix this issue. I'm now treating the gateway as a router, not a modem.

I got my computer back from repair and was not able to get online. (This is the primary one connected with the ethernet cable.) So I took the ethernet out of the hub and put it directly into the gateway, and this seems to solve the issues.

I haven't ported yet so I don't know if any new issues will crop up (or if my new problem is part of it. I'm about to post that question.)

Thanks for the help and again, sorry for being late in offering thanks.