Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75335 by Bahamin
Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm
In the Omma setup of features the listing of phone carriers to receive texts when a voice mail arrives, there isn't an option to select Tracphone as a carrier.
My wife and I have Tracphones. Is there a way we can have text notification of voice mails when we have Tracphone prepaid phones?
#121357 by ciamarie
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 am
I've run into this same issue, and the above linked Wikipedia page has been deleted.

The link below looks somewhat helpful, but I'm still going to have to try and sort it out. It's one of the few reasons I like having a cell phone, is getting a message about a voice mail on ooma, and I just changed carriers from Virgin Mobile. This is annoying. Anyone know if there's a way to ask Ooma to add Tracfone as a carrier? Or a good work-around?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways
#121358 by southsound
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:27 am
Tracphone, Net10, Straight Talk, PagePlus, and a host of other low price/no contract cell providers are actually MVNO's (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). They provide cell service by reselling capacity on either Verizon, ATT, or Sprint. If you know what the underlying carrier is, then you select it from the list. If you are unsure of who the underlying carrier is, just send an email from your phone to your home email account. The From: information will list the carrier's gateway. I use Net10 (mine uses ATT in this area) and PagePlus (always Verizon) and both work fine when the appropriate carrier is selected.
#121389 by ciamarie
Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 am
Thanks for the reply. southsound. I tried the option of sending myself an email text message, and it came from vtext.com. There wasn't anything in the headers that told me what phone carrier it was sent from. But now that I think about it, I did a search and the "v" in vtext must mean Verizon.

So, I went back to the website of the place I bought it from, I remembered they had a zip code finder to see if tracfone has coverage for a particular area. When I did that, it said the zip code is "eligible for TRACFONE service with VERIZONNET Network". So I entered Verizon as the carrier in my Ooma instructions. Hopefully that will do the trick.
#121396 by southsound
Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 am
ciamarie wrote:Thanks for the reply. southsound. I tried the option of sending myself an email text message, and it came from vtext.com. There wasn't anything in the headers that told me what phone carrier it was sent from. But now that I think about it, I did a search and the "v" in vtext must mean Verizon.

So, I went back to the website of the place I bought it from, I remembered they had a zip code finder to see if tracfone has coverage for a particular area. When I did that, it said the zip code is "eligible for TRACFONE service with VERIZONNET Network". So I entered Verizon as the carrier in my Ooma instructions. Hopefully that will do the trick.

You found the key - the vtext.com identifies Verizon as the carrier. Just select Verizon in the drop-down box and you will be good to go.