Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75325 by ptmuldoon
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm
Before ooma, I've been successfully ftp'ing into home server when outside the home with no issues. Now, in placing my ooma Telo in front of my router, I can't seem to access my server.

my config goes internet -> telo -> router -> all other devices

My router is being assigned an IP of 172.27.35.17 from the Telo. I even made that a static IP in my router to ensure it does't change.

In the ooma telo, I both enabled dmz to 172.27.35.17 and have also forwarded port 21 in the Telo to that router as well.

And the router is already forwarding port 21 correctly to the server. Again, its all worked well prior to introducing the Telo before the router.

I would love to just put the Telo behind the router, but i'm having some QOS issues of voicemails not picking up.

Its pretty frustrating. I just made this change from Vonage, and am now starting to second guess my decision.
#75330 by murphy
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 pm
You should not forward a port when the IP address is in the DMZ.
Blank out the DMZ and try it.

Are you using active or passive FTP?

Also you can't test from inside of your network.
Ooma does not support loopback.
You must use a computer that is outside of your network to test.
#75331 by ptmuldoon
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm
yeah, i know I can't test from inside the house.

It looks like its working, and it may have been a dyndns issue. As I connected with my actual IP Address, but not via the dyndns name and had to update the address.

I'll have to watch to see if thats being changed on me or not. My router has dyndns capabilities to able to take care of, but not sure if it will still update still going forward.
#75333 by murphy
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:25 pm
ptmuldoon wrote:yeah, i know I can't test from inside the house.

It looks like its working, and it may have been a dyndns issue. As I connected with my actual IP Address, but not via the dyndns name and had to update the address.

I'll have to watch to see if thats being changed on me or not. My router has dyndns capabilities to able to take care of, but not sure if it will still update still going forward.

99.9% of routers implement DynDNS incorrectly.
If you go to your DynDNS account you will probably find your router has given them it's WAN IP address instead of the external IP address.

Run the DynDNS supplied client software on your server.
#117394 by walt3k
Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 am
After over an hour of debugging this exact problem, I came across this post thank God because I DID NOT KNOW Ooma does not support loopback and testing ftp port forwarding has to be done from an external address. Indeed, it is working if I use a device connected to an external IP address/location.

What is confusing is that HTTP port forwarding IS working internally -- ie, when I http://my.external.ip.address from inside my network I do not get the Ooma, I get the Router attached to the Ooma. Naturally, this is also true if I access externally.

So why does HTTP work differently than FTP?

This difference is what really wasted a lot of my time today.

thx for the help/education,

Walt.