Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5213 by Studly
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 pm
I just signed up for Ooma and my area code in suburban Minneapolis, 952, is not on the list of available area codes. I called customer support and the guy said to sign up for a # in a neighboring area code and he would have Ooma find a # in my desired 952 area code and he'd call me the next day to confirm. Of course, he never called and my number is still in the neighboring area code. If I call support back (which I dread because of the long hold times) will they likely be able to find me a number in this heavily populated area code or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for your help.
#5227 by Studly
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 am
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the tip on when to call.

Yes, I checked that area code availability feature on the Ooma Website, but it said to call support when it didn't find any in my area code. It did say it could port my existing 952 #, but would like a different # in that area code for now.
#5229 by tommies
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 am
Studly wrote:Yes, I checked that area code availability feature on the Ooma Website, but it said to call support when it didn't find any in my area code. It did say it could port my existing 952 #, but would like a different # in that area code for now.

It's not that easy. Tel numbers are assigned to telco in block(I believe in the form (xxx) yyy-****), and it cost money. I'm lucky to have on local number(and my local calling area spans 3 different area codes)

Local bell and cell phone corp. have grabbed most of of them.
#5285 by Studly
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:13 am
As an update, I see now on Ooma's web site that they are promoting that you can get a number in any calling area, and I checked my 952 area code, and they have a number there. So they're making progress. I recommend anyone who doesn't have a # in their preferred area to call Ooma support and get one.