Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#74678 by nmvega
Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm
Hello Friends:

Pardon me if this question has been asked and answered previously. I cannot
seem to find an answer with clarity.

How do I password protect access to my voicemail account whenever I access it via:

a) My Ooma device.

b) My Home Handset by dialling my (Ooma) number.

Right now, I can press play on the Ooma device, and hear voicemails without entering a password. :( No good.

Similarly, right now I can pick up the handset, dial my own Ooma number, and hear voicemails without entering
a password. :( Equally no good.

How can this be rectified?

Thank you!
Noel
#124324 by gentilr
Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 pm
Yes I agree this is a very basic feature that I am surprised Ooma has not provided. I just signed up myself and there are other people in my household I do NOT wish to have access to my voicemails. Anyone can just listen to my voicemails by pressing the play button. Even worse, they can DELETE them on me and they disappear from the messages list of MyOoma. Unless I think to check the "Trash" folder, I'd never know a voicemail had come in! It looks like there is a way to set up a private voicemail with password but you have to be a Premier Plan member to do it. Read up on "Private Devices" and let me know if you are as confused as I was when I read it.
#124328 by oomamaniacal
Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm
gentilr wrote:Yes I agree this is a very basic feature that I am surprised Ooma has not provided. I just signed up myself and there are other people in my household I do NOT wish to have access to my voicemails. Anyone can just listen to my voicemails by pressing the play button. Even worse, they can DELETE them on me and they disappear from the messages list of MyOoma. Unless I think to check the "Trash" folder, I'd never know a voicemail had come in! It looks like there is a way to set up a private voicemail with password but you have to be a Premier Plan member to do it. Read up on "Private Devices" and let me know if you are as confused as I was when I read it.

You would either need to lock up the Telo in a secure cabinet, or get Premier and set up a private account. With Premier, you would need to assign a device (such as a Linx) to your private account. The new Beta version of My Ooma has separate tabs for Devices and Phone Numbers which makes the process of setting things up a bit more straight forward. Once the new website is officially launched, there should be updated documentation.
#124333 by gentilr
Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:03 am
Thank you for the info. The online chat representative said that this forum is the best place to provide feedback to Ooma. As brand new customer just testing out this service in Canada, I am very impressed with how well the system is working. However there are some major gaps in certain areas. Here is my constructive feedback so far:

1. Voicemail security (as mentioned above): I'd like to be able to disable playing messages from the Ooma box and ONLY be able to listen to them via a regular phone and with a password prompt. Even if I lock up the Ooma box, any member of the household can just dial my number from the house phone and listen to them. The only way to prevent this is to also lock up my desk phone and cordless phone - this is not practical.

2. Private devices with Premier Plan: all i want to do is what I described in #1 above. I am not sure why this is so complicated in that i have to buy a Linx handset to accomplish this very basic feature - voicemail password protection. I have perfectly good cordless phones right now and a desk phone, I don't want to have to buy more devices just to secure my voicemail. I sure hope Ooma introduces this feature soon without having the Private Devices requirement.

3. Checking voicemail from home phone: this requires dialing my own number to check it. A nice convenience would be to just dial #22 or some quick code like that, as my current phone provider has in place. For now i will program my own # into my phone's speed dial.

4. New Voicemail blinking light on the Ooma box: it keeps blinking even after I've listened to the message via my phone. It would be ideal if Ooma could detect it's been listened to and cancel the blinking light at the box.

5. Trash folder in myOoma: as a test, i deleted a voicemail using the trashcan button on the Ooma box. Then I checked the message log on myOoma and found that it had been removed from the log. I found it had been moved to the Trash folder. My issue here is that if someone deletes a message using the box without my knowledge, and I don't think to check the Trash folder I would never have known the voicemail came in! So again, I'd like to see the ability to disable voicemail access from the Ooma box entirely. In the meanwhile, having the trash folder icon indicate the number of items in there (ie: show a number beside it) would visually catch my eye that some voicemails were deleted by someone.

6. Monitor voicemail feature: i don't like the fact people can actually hear my private voicemails as they are being left. However I found a feature in myOoma to turn this off and this worked - thanks.

7. US calling on Basic Plan: on the the Ooma plan comparison page there is no blue dot beside US Calling but there IS a blue dot beside International Calling. So this makes it look like US calling is NOT available on the Basic Plan under any circumstances, not even as a pay-as-you-go add-on. Is this in fact the case?

Please let me know if I should be posting this "general feedback" in another part of the Forum. Thank you.