Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5196 by anilpillai
Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 pm
Newbie here. Ooma worked right out of the box, and everything was great. That was on March 8th. Then on March 20th, we notice that the fees has cleared our bank. And then same day, NO DIAL TONE. Incoming call rings, but no outgoing calls. Ooma tab is blue, out network is running well (obviously, as I am typing this up from home). It's over two days now.

Anyone know what's happening? Is this part of the porting? I got no emails indicating I should be expecting something like this - and my wife is not happy. And OOMA Customer support has been just bad so far - 30 minutes on hold.

Any help appreciated.
#5197 by murphy
Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:25 pm
Did you originally register your ooma to use with a land line and then port the land line out of existence?

Is the number you use to log into the lounge a temporary number or your original land line number?

Try turning off the power to your ooma system (hub and scout if in use) for 30 seconds.

If that didn't work and you are still within your 60 day free trial of Premier or if you paid for Premier, you can log into the Lounge and request a second phone number. That will instantly get you an active phone number to use for outgoing calls. If you didn't buy Premier, the second number will go away when the Premier trial ends. If you did buy Premier, pick a number that will be useful to you. For example my second number is local to my brother who lives in another state.
#5241 by anilpillai
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:43 am
murphy wrote:Did you originally register your ooma to use with a land line and then port the land line out of existence?

Is the number you use to log into the lounge a temporary number or your original land line number?

Try turning off the power to your ooma system (hub and scout if in use) for 30 seconds.

If that didn't work and you are still within your 60 day free trial of Premier or if you paid for Premier, you can log into the Lounge and request a second phone number. That will instantly get you an active phone number to use for outgoing calls. If you didn't buy Premier, the second number will go away when the Premier trial ends. If you did buy Premier, pick a number that will be useful to you. For example my second number is local to my brother who lives in another state.

Thanks Murphy.

The answer is no - didn't exercise that choice of keeping the landline. I just chose to have the number ported, so in other words, no landline was fed into the Ooma hub.

The number that I use to access Ooma lounge is a temp number assigned to me by Ooma.

Tried the power-off-on method, no dice.

Didn't try your final soln yet, as I ran out of time talking to Ooma tech. The tech support said he is going to put in a ticket to the Engg guys, as he was stumped.

Will keep you posted.
#5338 by anilpillai
Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:10 am
Okay - solved the issue. It was my UNIDEN cordless phone that was acting up. I power cycled the phone, and we were back on.

Why? I do not know - but it was hard to trace to that. An incoming call does show up on the phone, and the phone rings. But no conversation can take place, and of course, no dialtone. So as I said, it was case of severe misdirection - that led me to the dreaded Ooma customer support. They helped confirm that Ooma is working well - but after nearly 4-5 days.

A word about the support. As many here (and on Amazon) has observed - they suck at providing timely support. May be it is because we have high expectations, or may be it is because they are an up and coming company, and doesn't have the revenue to have big customer service dept. But as a general goal - if they can reduce their wait time to say 15 minutes, it would be more palatable. My average was somewhere north of 35 minutes. But once on, the guys I talked to were good.

So bottom line - folks, some phones might act up after a couple weeks of working normally - Uniden, for example.
#5350 by dlong
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:00 am
anilpillai wrote:A word about the support. As many here (and on Amazon) has observed - they suck at providing timely support. May be it is because we have high expectations, or may be it is because they are an up and coming company, and doesn't have the revenue to have big customer service dept. But as a general goal - if they can reduce their wait time to say 15 minutes, it would be more palatable. My average was somewhere north of 35 minutes. But once on, the guys I talked to were good.

Disagree. When I activated 3 weeks ago, I'd be on the line on hold for over an hour and gave up repeatedly. This is no longer the case. In the past 2 weeks with a few support calls, ooma support picked up between 7-20 minutes every time. Yesterday, an awesome knowledgeable support member installed a new local number for me. We were on the phone for over 2 hours. (Thanks NEWT! YOU ROCK!) This guy ROCK & ROLLED! Really nice awesome fella. My first impression 3 weeks ago was not so good. Now, you can't pry my ooma from my dead fingers. When can I buy ooma stock?
#5362 by anilpillai
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:11 pm
dlong wrote:
anilpillai wrote:A word about the support. As many here (and on Amazon) has observed - they suck at providing timely support. May be it is because we have high expectations, or may be it is because they are an up and coming company, and doesn't have the revenue to have big customer service dept. But as a general goal - if they can reduce their wait time to say 15 minutes, it would be more palatable. My average was somewhere north of 35 minutes. But once on, the guys I talked to were good.

Disagree. When I activated 3 weeks ago, I'd be on the line on hold for over an hour and gave up repeatedly. This is no longer the case. In the past 2 weeks with a few support calls, ooma support picked up between 7-20 minutes every time. Yesterday, an awesome knowledgeable support member installed a new local number for me. We were on the phone for over 2 hours. (Thanks NEWT! YOU ROCK!) This guy ROCK & ROLLED! Really nice awesome fella. My first impression 3 weeks ago was not so good. Now, you can't pry my ooma from my dead fingers. When can I buy ooma stock?

"Disagree"? "This is no longer the case"?

What do you think I was doing? Just having fun waiting, burning through my cell minutes? Or talking to some company other than Ooma?

May be you have the magic touch - I should ask you to call Ooma for me and patch me through.
#5364 by runagun
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:27 pm
I was amused reading ur reply Anilpillai. While they have gotten better its still a crap shoot and depends on the time of day. I was told on weekends you have a much shorter wait time. Good that you found the problem.
#5365 by anilpillai
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:42 pm
runagun wrote:I was amused reading ur reply Anilpillai. While they have gotten better its still a crap shoot and depends on the time of day. I was told on weekends you have a much shorter wait time. Good that you found the problem.

See, now that makes perfect sense - in fact I bet that was what happened to dlong up there.

And I am even willing to concede that they have gotten better - but not as much as dlong claimed. And above all - if I feel myself getting irritated over the wait - I just tell myself it is all worth it in the end.

Not knocking Ooma in that sense - I fully understand that Customer Service for a smaller company is a luxury. Unlike companies like T-mobile who boasts some of the best service (IMHO) in the business - they can afford it.
#5366 by dlong
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 pm
As I said, I was on hold a half dozen times at the beginning. I thought it SUCKED majorly too. But, ooma's been hiring in a big way in order to cut the times down. My last few times on the phone definitely showed me this. Newt said they're really trying to cut these times down. Anyhow, I'm not convinced it's a crap shoot, and I'm sure many will agree with me. If I thought this, I'd be a betting person. Hell, my emails have all been answered in a matter of minutes. And so far, everything has been going faster than I expected. I'll soon see when my number porting is finished. So, hang in there and try calling again. Send an email. OR, ask for assistance from ooma HERE.