Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5180 by prettygood
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:48 am
My ooma works BUT, computer page load speed is drastically slower, and utorrent won't work at all. Speedtest.net shows same speed as ever? Should I wire modem to router; router to ooma and computer as a splitter instead of inline?
#5216 by lohertz
Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:06 pm
Speed connections are not the only thing that affects internet traffic. I prefer to have the ooma behind the router such as

modem>router>ooma
I wouldn't put a computer behind the ooma, its really not necessary, but before you change anything go to the link below and run the test and post your stats. That could lead you to where your problem is.
#5221 by oomg
Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm
prettygood wrote:My ooma works BUT, computer page load speed is drastically slower, and utorrent won't work at all. Speedtest.net shows same speed as ever? Should I wire modem to router; router to ooma and computer as a splitter instead of inline?

I think that is what I did to resolve speed issue.

I had originally connected my Hub by following the directions in the manual, and ooma seemed to work well. However, I noticed a significant slow down of my internet speed as well as the speed of the other two computers connected by wayof a wireless connection. Initially I thought that was just part of the price of having the VOIP service. I have AT&T DSL (highest speed available) and D-Link router with 4 out ports.

After reading about the experience some others were having with internet speed, and the resolutions of the problem, I decided I had to try a different wiring configuration. Thus, I tried the following:

Connected one router port to computer via ethernet cable; connected a second router port to the "modem" port on the Hub via separate ethernet cable (nothng connected to ooma "home" port); phone unit connected to the "phone" plug; and the "wall" plug connected directly to the Scout with a separate phone connected behind the Scout.

The result was quite surprising: ooma phones (at Hub and Scout) work exactly like they are supposed to work and my internet speed increased approximately tenfold (yes... you read that correctly... the speed of the wireless users increased approximately 5x).

I was a bit hesitant to wire the Hub from the router to the modem port because that seemed to be reverse of what the manual was instructing. Then i figuered... there was nothing that said DO NOT wire it that way... what could possibly go wrong... and it's covered under the warranty... so why not.

My home number is presently scheduled to port within four days. Then I will connect the remainder of the Scouts that I have planned for the system. Right now, I see no reason why it should not work, but I will report once completed.

As a side note, for business reasons, I also have a T-Mobile @home service (two lines) connected for use in my home office. It too has a separate ethernet cable from the router to the unit. That system is working flawlessly as well.

Given my limited knowledge, I see no reason why the same wiring could not be applied to a cable based service or fiber optic service if it is wired through a multiport modem/router.

oomg
#5226 by tommies
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:00 am
Yes, I also have this problem. What needed to be done is just separate the dsl signal from ooma's hpna signal (ooma hub and scout communicate using hpna)
the setup (modem->ooma->router or modem->router->ooma) has no effect on this problem.This makes it work:
the "wall" plug connected directly to the Scout with a separate phone connected behind the Scout

If you want to connect the scout using your house's wiring, read this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658 or Southsound suggestion in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=950

Ooma mod please make a sticky thread for this issue. Every new installation with dls runs into this problem.
Show us that you care
#5230 by prettygood
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:43 am
here's my stats:
Download speed 3.95 Mbps
Upload speed 495 kbps
qos 88%
jitter 2.3ms( i didn't even know i had jitter!)
packet loss 0
MOS= 4.0

This is after I put ooma and computer behind router, that seems to have fixed it.
#5243 by lohertz
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 am
Glad things worked out. I'm willing to bet the router handles utorrent traffic a lot better than the OOMA Just my 2 cents. :)