Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#74287 by ebcb
Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 pm
My current physical/hardware network setup is:

(Public IP)-->(Modem)-->(OOMA)-->(Router)-->(Internal Network)

Previous to adding the OOMA in front of the router, it was in the internal network. We had ongoing issues with people unable to hear us talking or dropped calls. We tried QoS, but that didn't make a difference.

I know OOMA uses its own tunnel when making/receiving calls. Is it capable of working on a network with more than one tunnel? IE. If someone is on an OOMA call, and a VPN tunnel is established. Would that affect the OOMA at all? I know some devices might take a secondary tunnel as a security threat and react.

At this point, with the OOMA in front of the router, we've been unable to VPN to the router, even when passing all traffic straight to the router. Is the OOMA capable of passing a VPN tunnel?

I know this is probably a bit vague, so let me know if you have any specific questions about my setup.

Thanks in advance!
#74290 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm
ebcb:

Something to think about:

If your router has a DMZ, you might try putting your Ooma back behind your router, than placing the Ooma device in your router's DMZ.

You have to go into Ooma setup - Network - than down to MODEM Port MAC Address - Than select "Use Built in:".

The next thing you have to do is reserve a (static) IP address for the Ooma device in your router.

Than you can place the Ooma device static IP address into the Router's DMZ.

The Ooma device should function as if it were placed before the router, allowing good QoS, while allowing use of your other VPN.
#74292 by egar
Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm
I can't speak for an inbound VPN connection, but I frequently use outbound VPN to connect to my company's network. My Ooma setup has the Telo between the cable modem and my home router. I've had absolutely no VPN issues with this setup.

Ed