Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5166 by lefecious
Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:21 pm
Hi all,

I have a modem/router in one unit, and I'm having trouble getting ooma through the built in firewall. The only way I could get ooma to the blue light was to completely turn off my firewall. Obviously I don't want to leave it off forever, so how to I configure my firewall to still protect me but just to let ooma through?
#5175 by murphy
Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 am
Configure your modem/router so that the ooma hub is in DMZ of the router. Do not connect your computer(s) to the Home port of the ooma hub. If you need to modify the ooma hub's configuration, temporarily connect a computer to the Home port while you do the configuration.
#5177 by lohertz
Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:53 am
Without configuring the firewall for specific ports and ip address for the OOMA, murphy's suggestion is the easiest and simplest. Be sure to reserve the IP address in the dhcp server and have the OOMA pull a static IP (the same IP reserved in the dhcp) that way nothing accidentally gets DMZ that's not suppose to.
#5190 by lefecious
Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:33 am
Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. I have a couple of questions still.

So if I don't hook up my computer to the ooma hub's home port, then do I hook the computer up instead to the modem/router? So instead of a chain that goes modem > ooma > computer, I will have a set up more like a tree with the computer and the ooma both branching off from the modem/router. Correct?

Also, how do I reserve an address in the DHCP server, and which ip should I reserve? Then how do I have ooma pull that static reserved ip? Sorry, I'm pretty new to configuring routers and firewalls.
#5218 by lohertz
Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 pm
lefecious wrote:So if I don't hook up my computer to the ooma hub's home port, then do I hook the computer up instead to the modem/router? So instead of a chain that goes modem > ooma > computer, I will have a set up more like a tree with the computer and the ooma both branching off from the modem/router. Correct?

Correct
lefecious wrote:Also, how do I reserve an address in the DHCP server, and which ip should I reserve? Then how do I have ooma pull that static reserved ip? Sorry, I'm pretty new to configuring routers and firewalls.

You'll have to log into your router's web based configuration. Refer to you manual. Generally you enter a default ip address into your web browser such as http://192.168.1.0
You can reserve any number within the dhcp address and match it to the oomas mac address
#5223 by lefecious
Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 pm
Okay apparently my modem/router doesn't have a DMZ feature. I did some research online and discovered it can't do it. It can port forward though, so I forwarded all the ports that ooma uses to a dynamic ip, because my computer's on a dynamic ip, that should work, right?
#5224 by tommies
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 am
lefecious wrote:Okay apparently my modem/router doesn't have a DMZ feature. I did some research online and discovered it can't do it. It can port forward though, so I forwarded all the ports that ooma uses to a dynamic ip, because my computer's on a dynamic ip, that should work, right?

Does it support static DHCP? Assign a static ip to your ooma, this way you assure that you forwarding all traffic to the ooma.
#5245 by lohertz
Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 pm
What type of router do you have?
The ooma needs to have a static IP if your going to open all the ports to it. Other wise you basically took down the firewall in your router and could lead to a potential intruder.