Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#73567 by Zindar
Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm
Actually, I can see this app being a money saver for some domestic-only callers. For example my wife has the same kind of cell as I: Virgin mobile prepaid. She pays $5 / month which gets her 28 minutes (unused minutes carry forward). But she typically uses her phone more than 28 minutes every month, so it winds up costing her about $10 / month instead. (Extra minutes are purchased at the rate of 18 cents / minute.

I have an iPod Touch, and she doesn't, but she's been considerering getting one. Were she to get one, and install this app, then if she can take some of her 18 cent per minute calls, and use the iTouch in a wifi zone instead, at the rate of 2 cents a minute, that'd save 16 cents a minute. (To reach optimum financial efficiency she should try to use 28 minutes a month on her regular cell phone though.)

If I understand correctly the only cost for this app is $10 plus the 2 cents a minute. (We don't have premier, so no free 250 minutes.) That means the breakeven point is 63 minutes of wifi calls, and all further use of the ipod for calling is profit. She talks roughly 56 minutes per month total on her cell, and I don't know how many of those are from a wifi zone, but it seems it wouldn't necessarily take many months before she starts to come out ahead.

Basically her $10 / month cell phone bill becomes $5 / month, and there becomes a new very small ooma 2 cents per minute bill. I wonder how that bill is paid though? Who charges us the 2 cents / minute? I'm guessing we must have to register a credit card with the app or something. We have no current monthly bill with ooma.
#73569 by DawnW
Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 pm
I have a deal with Sprint for 3 phones, 750 minutes, nights and weekends, all for $35 plus tax per month.

I still have to check to see how many minutes I have used sometimes.....I talk a lot! ;-) But, if I could use this in some situations or if I am about to go over, that would help.

I don't have a "smart phone" or any added features like app availability, so it would be an ipod touch for me.

Dawn
#75564 by oomg
Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:14 am
Hey... I can beat that Virgin Mobile price.

Since my wife has access to Ooma, and only needs cell service as an emergency, I have opted for T-Mobile's "Pay As You Go" prepaid service: See: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

The secret is to pay (read "invest") $100 up front so that you are automatically eligible for "Gold Rewards" which gives a bonus on 15% on the minutes for each refill. Thus, we (she) received 1150 minutes for $100. Now, if we paid the same each year, we would be allowed a little more than 95 minutes per month (on average) for less than $8.50 per month. O.K. not too bad if you need something for occasional use that is more than emergency; but it can get better.

In our case, she just needs the phone for emergency or very occasional (e.g. "I'll meet you at...") type calls. So, as a Gold Rewards member, any refill receives the 15% bonus, and extends the service for a full year. In our case we are only required to add $10 per year. However, we have opted to add $30 per year (come on you guys, I'm cheap, but not that cheap, and besides, she is well worth the extra 4 cents per day) which if we do each year (2-5) would give us an additional 736 minutes for a total of 1886 minutes which averages out to slightly more than 31 minutes per month for $3.67 per month. Of course, if you find yourself needing more, just add more before the end of the year. Each refill extends the service for one year with unlimited roll over.

Now, if you really want to go low, add only $10 refills for years 2-5. Total is $150 for the five years or $2.50 per month for an average of 21 minutes per month. Makes the "Jitterbug" plans that are heavily marketed to seniors look like a total rip [30 cents/minute, plus overcharge for a crappy phone). See, http://www.greatcall.com/Plans/

Assuming there is no change in T-M's pricing, each additional year would bring the monthly price (and the average minutes available) down. So for ten years, could be as low as $1.60 per month for about 12 minutes per month. If you need service for emergency only, that price would be really tough to beat.

Of course, you will also need to invest in a cell phone. I prefer the Motorola Razr v3. Solid phone which is relatively easy to find for $25-35 on the used market.
#77169 by DawnW
Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm
I hear you on that one! We pay $35 plus $7 tax for 3 phones and 700 minutes plus nights and weekends. I am never changing that plan if I don't have to! I love the low payments. That comes to about $12/mo per phone line!

28 min. is not enough for me, but that is a great price!

Dawn

Zindar wrote:This is interesting, as I have an ipod Touch, and I also have ooma (but not premier). (I got the ipod touch mainly because it provides mobile internet with no monthly fee, as opposed to the iPhone with has a monthly fee.... I love not having monthly fees.)

In my case, I only pay $5 / month for my cell phone (Virgin Mobile), and I'm able to easily live within the 28 minutes / month that $5 gets me, so I think that while I have the hardware necessary to get this app, I don't really have any reason to install it.
#78017 by oomakem
Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:14 pm
Regarding the Ooma iPhone App and Ooma iTouch App and Ooma iPad App and the rates charged: I think it's a rip-off that you have to pay $10 for an Ooma iPhone App, or Ooma iTouch App or Ooma iPad App then get billed for every moment it gets used! The Bluetooth feature is novel if you are close to the Ooma Telo device, but why bother with the Ooma iPhone App at that point, just use a handset, unless being a geek is important and the Ooma iPhone App is exciting. Personally, I feel the recurring charges are a BS way to suck more money out of Ooma iPhone App purchasers who are trying to escape that same archaic fee model. The Ooma iPhone App and Ooma iTouch App and Ooma iPad App should not be dinging us for something that should be free after paying a stout fee to Apple for the Ooma iPhone App in the first place.

There are tons of free VOIP based iPhone app services that obviously knock Ooma iPhone App off the board as a cost saving product. The only reasonable way to use the iPhone with the Ooma Telo is to retrieve messages and have calls forwarded, so the Ooma iPhone App becomes a total and complete waste of money, time, and bother.

My disclaimer is that I think the Ooma Telo is a great idea and I sure hope it improves with time. I've not had mine for long and I have faith it will be a cost saver and a useful device. I have simply discovered that the Ooma iPhone App and Ooma iTouch App and Ooma iPad App are a rip-off from start to finish and I would expect the only way to make that product viable for most iPhone and Ooma owners is to make the VOIP calls free of charge.
#78020 by southsound
Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:38 pm
@oomaken - Do you really think it makes anyone listen when you use a huge font and red color? Most of us on the forum are adults who long ago learned to type using the default colors and font sizes as a sign of respect for other forum users. I didn't bother to read through your entire post because I thought your usage of font size and color was rude. I only skimmed it so I will not comment on what you said - only how you said it. If you like ooma, great. If not, then I hope your retailer has a great return plan. In the future, if you need help or want to express an idea to the rest of the forum, please consider my comments. :cool:
#78029 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm
oomakem, there are many reasons why the ooma app is attractive. One being it enables international plan users access to their bucket of minutes anywhere there is 3G or wifi. Just because u don't see value in it, it doesn't means others share the same view.
#78032 by Leeway
Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm
Some folks here are looking for solutions and there are endless good folks to help them. Other folks come here simply to rant and rave and use huge stupid red fonts. Your message falls into the latter catagory.

Different strokes for different folks. If the app doesn't appeal to you that's fine but it is selfish. There are others who find it beneficial.

Donna
#91690 by Gearscout
Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:33 pm
I use my Ooma app all the time on my iPhone when I'm traveling around the world. I do a lot of travel for business.

Because we want/need Premier (2 lines) we get free calls. There's never a charge for calling the home number (or any Ooma phone.)

I can call my home, the office, my kids...it's great! I do not think a one-time charge of $10 is too much for this.

If you have an MacBook or MacBookPro, you can hardwire your internet connection and then use AirPort to link to your iPhone/iPad and make calls in your room to anywhere. Some hotels try to block your use of VOIP over their wireless connections, but they can't block what they don't see using this method.

My old phone bills were right at $100/month for two lines and all the extras. I'm now paying $13.75 a month for Premier and the taxes...and LOVIN' IT!

;-)
#91691 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm
Gearscout wrote:I use my Ooma app all the time on my iPhone when I'm traveling around the world. I do a lot of travel for business.

Because we want/need Premier (2 lines) we get free calls. There's never a charge for calling the home number (or any Ooma phone.)

I can call my home, the office, my kids...it's great! I do not think a one-time charge of $10 is too much for this.

If you have an MacBook or MacBookPro, you can hardwire your internet connection and then use AirPort to link to your iPhone/iPad and make calls in your room to anywhere. Some hotels try to block your use of VOIP over their wireless connections, but they can't block what they don't see using this method.

My old phone bills were right at $100/month for two lines and all the extras. I'm now paying $13.75 a month for Premier and the taxes...and LOVIN' IT!

;-)

Gearscout maybe if you have time, you could go to the following post and give some advice?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13156