Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#5075 by jarodl
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 pm
I had Ooma working the first day out of the box no problem. I also decided to port my phone number from my old carrier.

Fast forward 4 weeks - the port seems to be taking place finally. I found this out because my hub stopped working and had to call customer support (45 minute wait). They said it would be a while before they could finish it, whatever that means. So long story short I have been without phone service for virtually the whole day. No e-mail or anything to warn me this was going to happen.

If you want this whole experience to go as smooth as humanly possible, just don't port your phone number. It takes 4 weeks or longer to do it which means paying for another phone bill or two from your old carrier and they obviously haven't perfected the issue.

Get a new number from Ooma and be done with it. The porting process is horrible.

Nice product, but customer support is going through some serious growing pains.
#5077 by dlong
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:52 pm
Your service should be back in a few hours and without a phone bill to pay from here on out. Be nice as some of us cannot choose an oooma supplied nonported local number that is not long distance (me).
#5088 by skellener
Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 pm
So because you had a problem, we should all NOT port our numbers? That's a bit silly isn't it jarodl ?

I ported my number. Never lost service. No problems. Love Ooma. Wonderful service and product.
#5107 by Boondocs
Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am
skellener wrote:So because you had a problem, we should all NOT port our numbers? That's a bit silly isn't it jarodl ?

I ported my number. Never lost service. No problems. Love Ooma. Wonderful service and product.

Same here
#5110 by oomg
Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 am
Boondocs wrote:
skellener wrote:So because you had a problem, we should all NOT port our numbers? That's a bit silly isn't it jarodl ?

Same here

My number is scheduled to port is less than a week. I'm hoping there will be no problems although I will not be without service since I have other lines in the home.

However, after having read about ooma's connection with Google Voice (formerly "Grand Central"), I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be better to port one's line to the Google Voice system... at least for some users.

Well... not yet. Just read this on the Google Voice site:
"Although you can't currently port your existing number to Google Voice, we hope to offer this option in the near future. Please tell us if this is a feature you'd like to see in Google Voice."

oomg
Last edited by oomg on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#5112 by jmassimilla
Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:20 am
I think that a lot (not all) of the porting problems have to do with the carrier you are porting from. I've seen a lot of complaints from people porting from AT&T. My port was from Vonage and there were no issues whatsoever. The port was completed in 3 weeks, there were no service interuptions at all, my name was associated with my outgoing caller id immediately, and my Vonage service was automatically cancelled within 2 days of the port.
#5132 by skellener
Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:38 am
My port was from AT&T. No problems whatsoever. Better quality now too.

My brother ported from Vonage. The day the port took place he had some issues in the afternoon but they were gone by the evening. Big deal, so a few hours it was out while it was ported. Not even a speed bump in my mind.

Ooma is awesome!
#5143 by oomg
Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:09 am
jmassimilla wrote:I think that a lot (not all) of the porting problems have to do with the carrier you are porting from. I've seen a lot of complaints from people porting from AT&T. My port was from Vonage and there were no issues whatsoever. The port was completed in 3 weeks, there were no service interuptions at all, my name was associated with my outgoing caller id immediately, and my Vonage service was automatically cancelled within 2 days of the port.

Not sure that it is ATnT. I ported three lines from ATnT to T-Mobile... one former residential number to cell phone, and one business number and one former residential number to T-Mobile's @home service. The porting was completed in about one week.

oomg

p.s. I am also in SoCal.
#5170 by Falcon
Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:55 pm
My port recently completed from AT&T. It took longer than I would like to have seen it take (5 weeks). I suspect it was likely impacted by delays on both sides of the provider fence. But it successfully completed. I paid an extra month of my old phone bill beyond what I would like to have seen, but I am generally pleased with the final outcome.

It is a little frustrating during the process. It does currently seem to take longer than it should. Not knowing where your port stands, who has the ball, and when it will be completed is understandably disconcerting. If only one party was involved it would likely be a smoother process (not that it could work this way, just saying IF). In retrospect, I wonder if having known when the ball was passed to AT&T I could have intervened and nicely asked them for some priority. Just an afterthought.

I'd hope the OP's case was the exception to the rule, and its unfortunate they had such an experience.

However, in the end, at least for me, porting was the way to go. All things considered, I'm glad I did. Your mileage may vary.