Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72864 by hpepper
Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 am
Have you called Customer Service to report this? There is no other way to fix that.

At the very least, they can look up to see if your information is correct in their system.

You could look up your phone number info in the North American Caller ID Database at http://ciddb.com/

It will also tell you who the actual provider of your number is too.
#72871 by ntoy
Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 am
thndrlight wrote:When I call my friends and relatives, my name doesn't come up on their caller ID, it just shows "out of area". I have the Hub by the way. Any ideas why that is?

Hello,

http://tnid.org/

What happens if you call other people. It could be the local phone provider who isn't passing callerid for the remote parties.
#72891 by WayneDsr
Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm
I ran a test on that site and my phone still shows SOUTH BEND and not my caller ID. (I don't live in South Bend either)
Had Ooma since Jan 2009.

Wayne
#72894 by ntoy
Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I ran a test on that site and my phone still shows SOUTH BEND and not my caller ID. (I don't live in South Bend either)
Had Ooma since Jan 2009.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Ok back to the drawing board. I am suspecting our carrier is subleasing to Level 3? Will have out team try beating on our carrier.
#72900 by WayneDsr
Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 pm
ntoy wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I ran a test on that site and my phone still shows SOUTH BEND and not my caller ID. (I don't live in South Bend either)
Had Ooma since Jan 2009.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Ok back to the drawing board. I am suspecting our carrier is subleasing to Level 3? Will have out team try beating on our carrier.

It really isn't that big a deal Ntoy, I have perfect calls with both my hub and my telo. I can live with a little ID issue!

Wayne
#73132 by murphy
Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am
eillib wrote:FYI - I tried the http://ciddb.com/

It had the wrong carrier and wrong city for the two numbers I tried. For my cell phone, I changed carriers over 10 years ago, and it still shows the old carrier.

Just for the record, the company that first issues a landline phone number owns it forever. You do not own your number. When you port to a different carrier they configure the call routing tables to go to that carrier. If you subsequently port to a third carrier, the first port is undone and the number is returned to the original carrier who then ports it to the third carrier by configuring the routing tables to go to the third carrier. I do not know the process for cell phone numbers but would expect it to be similar.
#73138 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 am
murphy wrote:Just for the record, the company that first issues a landline phone number owns it forever. You do not own your number. When you port to a different carrier they configure the call routing tables to go to that carrier. If you subsequently port to a third carrier, the first port is undone and the number is returned to the original carrier who then ports it to the third carrier by configuring the routing tables to go to the third carrier. I do not know the process for cell phone numbers but would expect it to be similar.

You own the number as long as you keep it active; you can take it to any carrier and use it. As for the original carrier owning numbers, this is true industry wide. However, this is true only when the number deactivates (someone discontinues service with a particular number that has been ported); the number will "snapback" to the original carrier after a period of time. The original carrier is not involved in subsequent ports; only carriers involved in porting are your current provider and your new provider; all the handshake and routing provisioning are done through NPAC (Number Portability Administration Center).