Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72556 by nn5i
Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 pm
I would imagine that much of the problem is caused because all of Ooma's servers are at one corner of the country. When they have more, if they ever do, in various parts of the country, surely the routings (from my Tallahassee location anyway) can have fewer Internet hops. As it is, fifty hops each way is not unusual for me. You can test this with a TRACERT command under a DOS prompt.
#72557 by Bill D
Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm
I'm in Ft Lauderdale Florida and even with all the hops, my ping time to www3.ooma.com is still only 75 ms, which is a minor part of the 600 ms echo test.
#72562 by BackupBob
Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:27 pm
Bill D wrote:
BackupBob wrote:I have discovered a problem with call waiting. The 2nd call seems to wait out the time for voice mail to pick up before it rings in. In my case that is 45 seconds and people will hang up by then.

Since there's always some callers that don't leave messages, your comment caused me to test for this bug but I found no problem (I have a Hub without Premier).

My 2nd callers hear ringing right away, the same is if the line was not in use. The number of rings before VM picks is also the same either way.

Is it possible you are mistaken?

Anyone else have this problem?

The problem is that the 2nd caller waits out the time for voice mail to kick in, while I never hear a call waiting tone. The tone finally comes in but by the time I can flash the phone the caller is already leaving a message.

I sent a message to Tech Support and received an auto-reply acknowleding its receipt but several days have gone by and no one has contacted me.
#72593 by Bill D
Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:17 pm
BackupBob wrote:The problem is that the 2nd caller waits out the time for voice mail to kick in, while I never hear a call waiting tone. The tone finally comes in but by the time I can flash the phone the caller is already leaving a message.

While on a call, I called myself with my cell in my other ear and call-waiting worked perfectly. I hear 2 different tones.

I hear the first call-waiting tone immediately and then I see the call-waiting caller-ID displayed. I can flash to the 2nd caller at any time during the next several rings the 2nd caller hears. After that period, I hear a second tone (different sound) telling me that I can no longer flash to the 2nd caller. The 2nd caller then hears a couple more rings before the VM message.
#72674 by zten
Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm
I have had it for about 4 months. I had a couple minor issues. One time, it just stopped working (no dial tone), so I power cycled it and all was fine. Then last month I had a fatal crash of some type. Box was dead. They sent me a new one and it has been working flawlessly since Christmas. and I have since bought a small 600VA UPS to power it. I am hoping it stays reliable.
#72732 by BackupBob
Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm
Bill D wrote:
BackupBob wrote:I have discovered a problem with call waiting. The 2nd call seems to wait out the time for voice mail to pick up before it rings in. In my case that is 45 seconds and people will hang up by then.

Since there's always some callers that don't leave messages, your comment caused me to test for this bug but I found no problem (I have a Hub without Premier).

My 2nd callers hear ringing right away, the same is if the line was not in use. The number of rings before VM picks is also the same either way.

Is it possible you are mistaken?

Anyone else have this problem?

I think I have found the problem. I will advise Tech Support so they do not continue working on it.

I have a small Panasonic PBX that works with its own phones or with single line phones. I often use a single line phone for convenience. This requires dialing codes for some functions, including flash. I would get the call, flash the handset, and not hear anyone. After two beeps the call waiting stops working and the user gets more rings and then phone mail.

It appears that the PBX is not passing the flash code to the Ooma properly. I had this problem with Verizon when the system was new and Panasonic upgraded the firmware. It seems that phone carriers do not all respond to a flash the same way so I will have to work with Panasonic to solve the problem. I will also check with Ooma to see if there are any flash settings that can be changed.

*** UPDATE ***

The flash time is adjustable. The line with Ooma was set to 80 mSec while the others were set to 600 mSec. I changed the Ooma line and the problem has cleared. Note that this is a PBX problem, not something with Ooma, and it will not affect many users, only those of us with a PBX. I see in another posting that others are using the same PBX that I have.

And there was great rejoicing in the land. Yay.
Last edited by BackupBob on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#72735 by jhphone
Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm
Bill D wrote:
jhphone wrote:I am still holding on because users like you demonstrate that there IS A SOLUTION.

Its possible the that both the happy & unhappy users have exactly the same delay on their Oomas, but the happy users are "polite talkers". Maybe IBmofo and his 20+ family and friends are all very polite talkers.

I've noticed that polite talkers don't seem to have a problem with excessive delay on the phone. I've had a few conversations with folks where the delay could have been several seconds and they wouldn't have even noticed. Their style seems to be "I won't talk until I'm really really sure you're done". Of course when I talk with folks like this, I do the same thing they do.

I've also been on calls with "interrupters" where we end up stopping and both say "go ahead" at the same time and then each wait for each other, only to them both respond at the same time. Business calls and group conference calls are the worse. There's a big difference between 400 ms and 600 ms on these calls.

Bill

My faith and endurance has been mostly vindicated. Call quality has greatly improved.

As of a a week ago, the problems I (and others) have complained about have almost disappeared for me. And it has nothing to do with employing "polite" conversation techniques.

Put simply, the apparent delay is no longer intrusive.

But, much more significant, the "half-duplex" operation -- where my words completely blank out the words I'm hearing -- is gone! I've now had local and long distance calls where the quality was almost as good as vintage POTS! Compared to the Ooma of a month ago, this is a striking improvement.

Ooma has fixed the half-duplex problem. Which, by the way, cannot be blamed on ping times, ISP buffering, Internet delays, my cordless phone, or anything but Ooma itself.

Regarding call delay. There remains a mystery. When I dial the echo number (909-390-0003) I get way more than the 500ms I used to get. But when I have a conversation it doesn't seem anywhere near that long although delay is noticeable.

I don't understand the discrepancy between the measured delay and the apparent (perceived) delay. It must be either that the echo number somehow has a built-in delay -- very unlikely -- or that there's a psycoacoustic thing going on. In this case the horrible experience was due primarily to the half-duplex nature of the calls.

I should note that Bell phones of the late 1800s were full-duplex instruments, as half duplex is intolerable for the public. Thank you, Ooma, for achieving pre-Twentieth Century call quality. Almost.

There's still the unexplained and unfixed delay. I've made Skype video calls recently and there's NO noticeable delay,certainly nothing comparable to the Ooma system.

This is solid proof that the delay is NOT caused by anything related to my connection to the Internet, to my ISP, to my LAN, etc, etc. It's Ooma all the way down.

EDIT -- My echo delay is now up to 900 ms.
#116951 by Mount10Wizard
Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm
Well

I for one have been having serious echo issues associated with Call waiting or Caller ID.

Call quality is usually good, until some one calls in then the echo becomes so bad I have to call again.

3 months several calls to Ooma, no solution.

Customer service is nice yet impotent.

Today I somehow got into Ooma Black hole waiting for level 3 support. 1 hour wait no body picks up.

That was after a 20 on hold no pick up.

I know have the whole day today trying to get through and have replaced the modem, bypassed Ooma and gone straight to the router because the Ooma box never gets passed the flashing red logo. Rebooted Ooma over 8 times today alone.

My best guess is the box is dead. Yet no one @ Ooma seems to be able to figure this out.

I am very unhappy about this and am going to copy this and post it all over the web.
#116956 by southsound
Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm
Mount10Wizard wrote:I am very unhappy about this and am going to copy this and post it all over the web.

We understand you are unhappy. Would you like any help with your problem?