Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72339 by luvsaving$
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:00 pm
I'm all for saving money but at least with AT&T the one thing I never have to worry about is my phone service. Does anyone have consistently EXCELLENT quality, service, and experience with OOMA??? For those who have had the service for more than a year - do you see a solidly improving trend? How frequently are people experiencing problems after a successful install?

I'd LOVE to hear from folks frankly - either talk me into this or out of it before I pull the plug. In fact, I'll go out on a limb since calls are free and my number is only temporary - call me if you'd like @ 630-216-5451.

Thanks -
Steve
#72345 by jhphone
Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 pm
luvsaving$ wrote:I'm all for saving money but at least with AT&T the one thing I never have to worry about is my phone service. Does anyone have consistently EXCELLENT quality, service, and experience with OOMA??? For those who have had the service for more than a year - do you see a solidly improving trend? How frequently are people experiencing problems after a successful install?

Thanks -
Steve

I cannot speak for everyone, but most definitely there are a substantial number of us who DO NOT have even satisfactory service.

Read the 17 pages of viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569 and observe the suffering.

... Do you see a solidly improving trend?

No! I see the opposite: a solidly decreasing quality.

For example, the delay I was experiencing a month ago was about 500 ms (a half second). Currently it's closer to a full second. WTF?

Ooma has failed, and continues to fail, to address this issue and other call-quality deficiencies. Nor do they deny that such issues exist.

If you are able to return your equipment, do so. There is no material reason to believe that Ooma will fix things.
#72347 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:12 pm
luvsaving$: You must have been one of the lucky ones. I mean never ever having problems with AT&T.

I live in a location where the AT&T service has been terrible forever. Every time it rained, became too hot, or became too cold, the sun was shining, or the sun wasn’t shining, the old world WWII overhead phone lines would become static-y, or just quit.

At those times the phone lines was unusable, usually for days. Thank god for cell phones. After calling AT&T repair service, with promises of one day service, most times we always had to wait for days for repairs.

Than AT&T would often say the problem was in our home, and they would try to charge us. That was a standard con. It got so that before calling AT&T service, I would disconnect the phone line from the receptacle outside of our home, plug in a single corded phone, outside of the home, just to prove to AT&T that the phone line problems belonged to AT&T.

Several times when they fixed the defective lines, the neighbors calls would ring in our home, and our calls would ring in someone else’s home. Than after calling and reporting that problem, the AT&T service people would come back out and make additional repairs. Their fix was to route everyone’s calls into everyone’s nearby homes.

I could go on, and on, and on, about AT&T and the problems that we had with AT&T. I haven’t even mentioned the billing problems.

DSL was available for a while, but because the phone lines were so old, AT&T discontinued DSL service long ago. Than in 2007 street widening and re-construction started past our home. AT&T put in four, six inch conduits under ground past our home. One was full of DSL cables. One conduit was provisioned for fiber optic cables. We thought this was it; we would finally have broadband service to our home.

But AT&T made a “business” decision not to “turn on” broadband service to our homes.

A little later fiber optic was brought in to a nearby new medical building complex located a few hundred feet from our home. But they wouldn’t connect us because of their business decision. AT&T wouldn’t even provide broadband service to a nearby fire station or hotel that is located almost on top of the fiber optic cables.

What finally pushed us over the edge to Ooma, was that even though we have new under ground AT&T phone lines going to and past our home, the AT&T service was still static-y and interruptions would occur. Our Ooma service is very clear with no static, connected to the same phone wires through-out our home, that AT&T always said was defective..

Even though Ooma has all sorts of growing and service pains, and sometimes I'll be the first to complain, Ooma’s phone service is as good, and is most times better than AT&T’s phone service ever was for us.

Good Luck :D
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#72348 by PaulShedd
Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:13 pm
We had some trouble with our voice mail in May 2010. That took a few weeks to get sorted. It has been steady reliable service for us since then.

My co-worker has been using Ooma since 2009 and he has had no complaints.
#72349 by Bill D
Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm
luvsaving$ wrote:For those who have had the service for more than a year - do you see a solidly improving trend? How frequently are people experiencing problems after a successful install?

I've had 3 hubs for 14 months (in 2 houses) and I've had very little problems until the last couple months when the delay increased. Voice quality is good, but I keep stepping on folks I'm talking to.

When the echo test was 400 ms it was very usable (an echo-test on my cell is also 400 ms) but now its regularly over 600 ms (my ping time from Florida is 75 ms).

I believe this is an Ooma carrier/partner problem because when I call Ooma-to-Ooma between my two hubs, the delay measures 300 ms. Also, I've seen other posts about international calls having much less delay than domestic calls.

I keep expecting Ooma to get the echo test number back to 400 ms since it was there before, but my faith in Ooma is fading fast. Maybe when they're back from CES they'll come down to earth and get back to basics.

Bill
#72363 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm
I have 20+ family/friends with Ooma (Telo & Hub) and all of them are enjoying Ooma without any issues (WA, CA). All happy campers.
#72368 by 2spirit
Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 pm
I have been using Ooma for over a year and can state with no hesitation that it has far exceeded my expectations and is far superior to the service I had for many years from Verizon.
#72385 by jhphone
Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 pm
lbmofo wrote:I have 20+ family/friends with Ooma (Telo & Hub) and all of them are enjoying Ooma without any issues (WA, CA). All happy campers.

I do believe you even though I am among the minority who are experiencing these problems.

And, were it not for satisfied comments like yours, I would have cut my losses and junked Ooma. I am still holding on because users like you demonstrate that there IS A SOLUTION.

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why Ooma ignores those of us who do have these maddening and frustrating issues.
#72387 by Hollywood
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:32 pm
I would say as my phone service, it is 98% good. I like the caller ID, voice mail, and just use it for voice calls. I don't have any data devices that have to call out.

My neighbor has Ooma and also has good results.

My mom also has Ooma and most of her calls work without a problem, but when I call her, at some point I always hear a random touch tone. (her dial pad is on the base unit, not the handset).

My friend in Canada (who has an Ooma number local to me) gets flawless call quality from and to me.

My Ooma is connected between the modem and router, and all are connected to a battery backup. I RARELY have any problems and never use the controls on the Telo, I only use the cordless phones or the webpage to access anything. I have Time/Warner cable and I save $30-40 a month. I estimate the hardware payed for itself last August.

Yes, I am a happy user.
#72388 by Bill D
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm
jhphone wrote:I am still holding on because users like you demonstrate that there IS A SOLUTION.

Its possible the that both the happy & unhappy users have exactly the same delay on their Oomas, but the happy users are "polite talkers". Maybe IBmofo and his 20+ family and friends are all very polite talkers.

I've noticed that polite talkers don't seem to have a problem with excessive delay on the phone. I've had a few conversations with folks where the delay could have been several seconds and they wouldn't have even noticed. Their style seems to be "I won't talk until I'm really really sure you're done". Of course when I talk with folks like this, I do the same thing they do.

I've also been on calls with "interrupters" where we end up stopping and both say "go ahead" at the same time and then each wait for each other, only to them both respond at the same time. Business calls and group conference calls are the worse. There's a big difference between 400 ms and 600 ms on these calls.

Bill