Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72097 by mikemc
Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm
Hey All,

I just recently activated my ooma telo (Nov. 2010), and was under the impression that I would not be billed for the first year of service (as indicated on the box and instructions). I was going through my cc statements and noticed that I got charged ($3.47) this past month (Dec. 2010). I emailed ooma support, but figured I would ask in the forums as well - just in case.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike
#72102 by mikemc
Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 pm
oldtimercurt wrote:If you check, I think you'll find that's taxes and fees.

OTC

thx for the reply...yeah it is taxes, but I was under the impression that ooma was going to pick up those taxes for the 1st year and then in year two I would be billed.
#72136 by ntoy
Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:11 pm
mikemc wrote:
oldtimercurt wrote:If you check, I think you'll find that's taxes and fees.

OTC

thx for the reply...yeah it is taxes, but I was under the impression that ooma was going to pick up those taxes for the 1st year and then in year two I would be billed.

Hello,

Yes, this did exist on an earlier promotion at the time.
#72200 by mikemc
Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 am
Yeah the promotion on the box is no longer...here's the response I received from ooma:

Starting April 5, 2010, Ooma will charge new customers that purchase and activate an Ooma Telo $3.47 per month to cover applicable taxes and fees. Due to the constant and ongoing costs associated with operating in a heavily regulated and taxed industry, Ooma must charge customers for the fees and taxes inherent in the telecommunications industry. There may also be additional taxes, fees, and surcharges depending upon regulatory changes by federal, state and/or local governments, and depending on where the customer’s service address is located. These charges are only for new customers activating on or after April 5, 2010 – current/existing customers are not affected at this time, but under Ooma’s terms and conditions, rates are subject to change.

To Current Customers If you purchased and activated your Ooma Telo before April 5, 2010, we have not changed your Annual Regulatory Recovery Fee of $11.75 for the second year of service.

To Future Customers: If you activate the Ooma Telo on or after April 5, 2010, Ooma will apply a monthly charge to cover taxes, fees, and surcharges associated with federal, local and state government requirements. The Annual Regulatory Recovery Fee is a by-product of operating in a heavily regulated and taxed industry. The amount of this charge will vary based on the location of your service address but for the vast majority of our customers today the charge will be $3.47 per month. Our award-winning service which includes 911 service and free US calls, voicemail, caller-id, and call-waiting remains free of any additional charges. We want to be very clear to all our users – we are not passing the buck. Our Basic calling services and suite of features remain free. Up to now, these taxes, fees, and surcharges are additional expenses which Ooma has incurred for its customers. However, as Ooma continues to grow its customer base, and in order to continue to provide our current and future customers with the best possible phone experience, this Annual Regulatory Recovery Fee charge is a necessity.