Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#71781 by luvsaving$
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 am
I think I see something going on. I just installed my system a couple days ago and I hooked up two phones via a splitter - one is going thru the OOMA and the other is still connected to the telephone company during my trial period (mainly because it's a two-line phone and the ooma telo can only handle one line). I was just looking at my phone logs thru my ooma dashboard and noticed I have a TON of "UNKNOWN" calls. At that moment a call came in that the telco phone caller id correctly identified as a local business but in my ooma phone log the call showed up as "UNKNOWN".

Since I am still running with a number that has not been ported over to OOMA I understand the call blocking and other premier features are not in effect while I test the quality of service, but if OOMA is identifying these calls as UNKNOWN, after I port my number these calls would never show up in my log and the calls would be blocked; I'd never know someone was trying to call me. This is not consistently happening since I do see some calls correctly listed with caller id's the same on both phones.

Is this a monitored tech support communication vehicle or should I call and speak with someone? (Since I'm in my evaluation period consider this a test :)

-Steve
#71786 by southsound
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am
luvsaving$ wrote:I think I see something going on. I just installed my system a couple days ago and I hooked up two phones via a splitter - one is going thru the OOMA and the other is still connected to the telephone company during my trial period (mainly because it's a two-line phone and the ooma telo can only handle one line). I was just looking at my phone logs thru my ooma dashboard and noticed I have a TON of "UNKNOWN" calls. At that moment a call came in that the telco phone caller id correctly identified as a local business but in my ooma phone log the call showed up as "UNKNOWN".

Since I am still running with a number that has not been ported over to OOMA I understand the call blocking and other premier features are not in effect while I test the quality of service, but if OOMA is identifying these calls as UNKNOWN, after I port my number these calls would never show up in my log and the calls would be blocked; I'd never know someone was trying to call me. This is not consistently happening since I do see some calls correctly listed with caller id's the same on both phones.

Is this a monitored tech support communication vehicle or should I call and speak with someone? (Since I'm in my evaluation period consider this a test :)

-Steve

This reply is copied from my answer to your other post on the same topic.
Welcome to the wonderful world of landline integration. You will probably continue to have some flakeyness as long as your system is in this configuration. The good news is that it will go to normal once your port is complete. If you have call forwarding on your existing landline, why not call ooma support and have them issue you a temporary number - then you can disconnect the landline and forward that number to the new temporary one from ooma? That way you get a real test of ooma and can avoid the landline integration problems. In case you are wondering how I feel about landline integration, check my signature below.
#71791 by luvsaving$
Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm
Thanks for your reply southsound. I'm not sure what all you have packed into "landline integration" but I don't see how this applies to my situation.

I have 2 phones with caller id's; the caller id comes from the phone company as part of the data packet in every phone call. This configuration is no different than if I had the second phone upstairs; they are not connected. The OOMA is apparently not "reading" it properly. This could only be seen in a parallel test mode - why would I think that unplugging the landline would solve the problem and the ooma phone mysteriously begin reading the caller id data correctly?

-Steve
#71792 by southsound
Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 pm
Landline integration is when you select to use your old phone number until your number is ported. It means that you have a modular cord going from your existing service to the WALL jack on your ooma. I'm guessing that you have the Telo - the black newer unit. The older hub or core (hub and scout) were white. With the older system, most things worked well when you used this configuration. With the Telo, not so much.

Maybe I've made an assumption that is not based on fact. If you are using an ooma number, then the ooma WALL jack should be empty unless you have the hub and are connect it to the scout.

Please confirm what is connected if I am wrong so I can adjust my answer if needed. As to why it would strip out caller ID and do other strange things, I believe we'd call that a bug in the software - but it is seen by many who use the landline configuration.
#71793 by luvsaving$
Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 pm
Thanks again - this exchange is helpful. I'm using the telo hooked up as you described and as the instructions said to connect everything. I'll trust your history of monitoring these situations that the integrated connections can cause problems, but just thinking it through the only difference between the two phones is that one is getting it's input from the telco and the other is getting input from ooma via the dsl line. The caller id seems to be occasionally "dropped" (or misread or something) when the path thru ooma and internet is in play. If it happened consistently I could understand it but I've watched four calls come thru today and two showed the same caller id and 2 showed as "unknown" on the ooma phone.

-Steve