I am having an odd problem, please help.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
steveninspokane
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by steveninspokane » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:01 pm

I have only confirmed with one person so I don't know how many other people this is doing this to.

When they try to call me ooma phone it just rings for them but it does not ring for me, it does not ever send them to voice mail and I have no idea why this is happening. I have looked at my blacklists and everything, there number is not a blocked number either so there should be no reason this is happening.

So in a nutshell, they call it rings forever on their end and on my end there is no sign that the phone is even ringing.

Can anyone offer up a helpful solution?

Thank you in advance.

ntoy

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by ntoy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello,

Do these calls show up in your call logs in My Ooma?

What happens if they call your 2nd number? You also have voicemail pickup set to 49 seconds.

steveninspokane
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by steveninspokane » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

ntoy wrote:Hello,

Do these calls show up in your call logs in My Ooma?

What happens if they call your 2nd number? You also have voicemail pickup set to 49 seconds.

Their number does not show up in the log nor on my phone.

I have not tried to have them call the second number, though I recall thjat while my phone was being ported that another caller was having the same problem and what I did was forward the main number to the second number and they were able to get their calls through, but tha problem for them was solved after the porting completed.

Yes, I do have voicemail pickup set to 49 seconds

steveninspokane
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by steveninspokane » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Noone?

murphy
Posts: 7207
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm

49 seconds is more than 8 rings.
I would not expect many people to wait through that many rings for voice mail to pick up.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Do you have Call Forwarding set to CALL FORWARD ALL and have it forwarding to a cell phone?
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

luvsaving$
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:03 am

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by luvsaving$ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 am

I was just about to post a separate topic on this (and still will) but I think I see something going on. I just installed my system a couple days ago and I hooked up two landline phones via a splitter - one is going thru the OOMA and the other is still connected to the telephone company. I was just looking at my phone logs thru my ooma dashboard and noticed I have a TON of "UNKNOWN" calls. At that moment a call came in that the telco phone caller id correctly identified as a local business but in my phone log the call showed up as "UNKNOWN". based on the premier system feature for handling anonymous calls it wouldn't show up in your log if you are using a ported number (or ooma provided number). In my case it IS showing up because I haven't ported my number yet and the call blocking features are not enabled with a landline number. I'm guessing there is an issue that needs investigating that is mis-identifying your call. This is not consistent since I do see some calls correctly listed.

-Steve
Thanks -
Steve

Greater Chicagoland
Ooma Telo & handset
Ooma provisioned tel no.
AT&T (Formerly SBC) DSL (integrated router/modem)
* Upload speed > 5MB / Download speed ~.4MB
* Jitter 4ms / Packet Loss = 0% / Ping 62ms


User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

luvsaving$ wrote:I was just about to post a separate topic on this (and still will) but I think I see something going on. I just installed my system a couple days ago and I hooked up two landline phones via a splitter - one is going thru the OOMA and the other is still connected to the telephone company. I was just looking at my phone logs thru my ooma dashboard and noticed I have a TON of "UNKNOWN" calls. At that moment a call came in that the telco phone caller id correctly identified as a local business but in my phone log the call showed up as "UNKNOWN". based on the premier system feature for handling anonymous calls it wouldn't show up in your log if you are using a ported number (or ooma provided number). In my case it IS showing up because I haven't ported my number yet and the call blocking features are not enabled with a landline number. I'm guessing there is an issue that needs investigating that is mis-identifying your call. This is not consistent since I do see some calls correctly listed.

-Steve
Welcome to the wonderful world of landline integration. You will probably continue to have some flakeyness as long as your system is in this configuration. The good news is that it will go to normal once your port is complete. If you have call forwarding on your existing landline, why not call ooma support and have them issue you a temporary number - then you can disconnect the landline and forward that number to the new temporary one from ooma? That way you get a real test of ooma and can avoid the landline integration problems. In case you are wondering how I feel about landline integration, check my signature below. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

steveninspokane
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by steveninspokane » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:28 pm

My problem isn't that people are hanging up before voicemail, nor is it that the call log is displaying incorrect information.

My problem is that I have one verified caller that tells me that they have called my phone, and on my end the phone does not ring, and the call log doesn't even display that a call ever came in.

I have everything turned off, ie call blocking and blacklisting, I have checked to make sure that this number is not blocked alone. I don't know how many other people this is happening to, and it is a considerable problem.


I have to admit, I got my hopes up when an Ooma Mod replied right away to my post with a few questions giving me the impression they were here to help, I suppose I was sorely mistaken because they have failed to come back to check on whether my problem was resolved or not.

ntoy

Re: I am having an odd problem, please help.

Post by ntoy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm

steveninspokane wrote:My problem isn't that people are hanging up before voicemail, nor is it that the call log is displaying incorrect information.

My problem is that I have one verified caller that tells me that they have called my phone, and on my end the phone does not ring, and the call log doesn't even display that a call ever came in.

I have everything turned off, ie call blocking and blacklisting, I have checked to make sure that this number is not blocked alone. I don't know how many other people this is happening to, and it is a considerable problem.


I have to admit, I got my hopes up when an Ooma Mod replied right away to my post with a few questions giving me the impression they were here to help, I suppose I was sorely mistaken because they have failed to come back to check on whether my problem was resolved or not.
Hello,

Please send me a personal message. On the verified caller, does this happen consistently? What provider are they using? What did the remote party hear?

Thx

Post Reply