Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#71550 by Lola
Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:55 pm
I purchased premier when I first got my ooma hub almost 18 months ago, in order to be able to port my home number. At that point it was $99/year, plus 6 month premier trial, so I am coming to the end of subscription in 2-3 weeks. I just noticed that my account is set to automatically renew.

1. How much will the renewal be, do they charge monthly or yearly now?, can't find info.

2. How long do I have to decide whether I want to renew?

3. I have been wanting to change my second phone number 4-ever to something with my mom's area code. If I let the premier lapse (not renew) I think I lose the second number when I drop to "ooma core", and then if I were to subscribe again to premier in the future, I would get to pick a completely new second number, correct?
#71571 by ntoy
Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:10 am
Lola wrote:I purchased premier when I first got my ooma hub almost 18 months ago, in order to be able to port my home number. At that point it was $99/year, plus 6 month premier trial, so I am coming to the end of subscription in 2-3 weeks. I just noticed that my account is set to automatically renew.

1. How much will the renewal be, do they charge monthly or yearly now?, can't find info.
Reply>Customers are enrolled in monthly premier after their trial period unless they opt out or purchase annual premier. If one buys annual premier, they will be renewed automatically each year based on date purchased. In your case, I see that you ordered annual premier before the price increase. You can refer to:
https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/02/how ... customers/

2. How long do I have to decide whether I want to renew?
Reply> You can log into My Ooma>Account>Services

3. I have been wanting to change my second phone number 4-ever to something with my mom's area code. If I let the premier lapse (not renew) I think I lose the second number when I drop to "ooma core", and then if I were to subscribe again to premier in the future, I would get to pick a completely new second number, correct?
Reply>You may need to call into support to change the 2nd number.

Hello,

Please see "Reply>" above.
#71828 by oomg
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:10 am
Lola wrote:I purchased premier when I first got my ooma hub almost 18 months ago...

I have been wanting to change my second phone number 4-ever to something with my mom's area code. If I let the premier lapse (not renew) I think I lose the second number when I drop to "ooma core", and then if I were to subscribe again to premier in the future, I would get to pick a completely new second number, correct?

I am assuming that you mom incurs a toll charge to call you. If so (and and the risk of being booed), you could get a MagicJack with a number assigned to your mom's area (or at least within her toll free dialing area). The one thing MagicJack seems to do well is forward calls. So, forward your MJ number to your existing Ooma number. Your mom will call the new MJ number, and all your old friends can continue to call your existing numbers. $20/year is fairly cheap, and it does have the added benefit of providing you with a back-up in the event of an outage on the Ooma system.
#71830 by southsound
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am
Another suggestion is a free one - get a Google Voice number in your mom's area code and point it to your number. It is easy to set up GV and you can do it in about 10 minutes. I'm involved in running a 12-step support group. One of our associate leaders has a company cell phone that his boss lets him use for personal use. The only problem is that it is in the 253 area code and all of our group members live in the 360 area code - so unless a peson has a cell with free long distance, they would have to pay to reach him. I got him a GV number that is local to our group and points to his 253 cell. He doesn't even have a computer - it was all done from my end.
#71836 by oomg
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 am
southsound wrote:Another suggestion is a free one - get a Google Voice number in your mom's area code and point it to your number. It is easy to set up GV and you can do it in about 10 minutes. I'm involved in running a 12-step support group. One of our associate leaders has a company cell phone that his boss lets him use for personal use. The only problem is that it is in the 253 area code and all of our group members live in the 360 area code - so unless a peson has a cell with free long distance, they would have to pay to reach him. I got him a GV number that is local to our group and points to his 253 cell. He doesn't even have a computer - it was all done from my end.

This may be better advice. I have a GV number, but have had a few issues with forwarding calls. I admit that I haven't spent as much time as I should attempting to resolve the issue, so maybe GV would be the better first alternative. I do know that (love it or hate it otherwise) MJ is flawless (at least to my knowledge) when it comes to forwarding calls. So, if for any reason GV does not work as it should, try the MJ route.