Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#71474 by luducris
Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:37 pm
Hi, We have the Ooma Telo, been using it since October and we Love it. My question is, we plan on moving in a couple of months to a different area code. How do I get a new phone number with the correct area code?
#71476 by southsound
Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:58 pm
Two choices -
If you have Premier, you can keep your existing number for your friends that live in your current area and get a new one for the new area - you do this by calling ooma support at 888 711-6662. Since you will probably want your new number to be your primary one, you can ask them to just move your existing number to the secondary position when you add the new one. You can even set them up with different rings so you can tell which number they called to reach you. Premier has some great features that make it a good value. The second number is just one of them.

If you would prefer not to have the additional cost of Premier, just call the same number when you move and have them change it for you to the new area code. I believe the fee to do this is about $20.

In either case, make sure to change your Service Address in my.ooma.com so emergency reponders know where to find you.
#71666 by sweeth20
Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 pm
Good luck!
I have been waiting on a new phone number for six months and all I'm told is there are none available.
Have contacted Ooma on several occasions and get no help at all.
Like I said - Good luck!
#71827 by oomg
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 am
Cheap work around... get a Google Voice # in your new area, or get one of those dang fangled MagicJacks with a number assigned to your new area (whether temporary or permanent). The one thing MagicJack seems to do well is forward calls.
So, forward your MJ number to your existing Ooma number. those in your new area will call the new MJ number, and all your old friends can continue to call your old number. $20/year is fairly cheap, and it does have the added benefit of providing a back-up in the event of an outage on the Ooma system.