Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#71439 by ubiq
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:07 pm
I have a voice/fax modem attached to my PC. Occasionally, while browsing, I see a phone number I want to call using my headset. I know that Windows has a built-in dialer, but using it involves opening another app. I'd like to just click on the number to dial it. Skype has a Firefox add-on that does exactly this, but only via Skype. Is there an add-on that will allow me to do this via my Ooma phone service and modem?

Thanks for your help.
#71440 by ntoy
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:10 pm
Hello,

Sorry, there is not sip client for the pc. We only have OomaMobile for iPhones at the moment.
#71441 by ubiq
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:55 pm
Thanks for the response. Does "at the moment" mean that this app is imminent? Under construction? Wistfully contemplated? Surely you Ooma guys aren't going to allow Skype to "one-up" you?
#71443 by fthomasson
Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:27 pm
ubiq wrote:I have a voice/fax modem attached to my PC. Occasionally, while browsing, I see a phone number I want to call using my headset. I know that Windows has a built-in dialer, but using it involves opening another app. I'd like to just click on the number to dial it. Skype has a Firefox add-on that does exactly this, but only via Skype. Is there an add-on that will allow me to do this via my Ooma phone service and modem?

Thanks for your help.

You can do exactly what you want using Gmail. I do it all the time (only for US numbers). They started offering this feature in August of this year. They originally were only going to allow free calls until the end of this year. This past week they extended free calls for all of 2011. After that who knows. You have to download a free file to add this feature to Gmail. When you click on call, a pad pops up and you enter the number, then click "call". The call quality seems pretty good. For me it is usually better than an Ooma call - not as much latency.
#71478 by ubiq
Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm
Useful tip on the Google app. I'll hunt for it without delay. Thanks.