Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#71307 by Nolzman
Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 am
I have a newly activated Ooma, that I'm not using fully yet. I still have the phone co. line active until I get some technical issues worked out.

My question is, can I take my activated Ooma (I live in Atlanta) to the in-laws (Florida) for Christmas and hook it up to thier network router and expect it to work? Will the number be the same?

If it does work, can an activated Ooma be given as a gift and set up under someone else's name. I would even be willing to pay thier small bill each month.

I'm not able to port my number, but I checked and the In-Laws can be ported. What a great gift to port their number and give them my Ooma, so that they could turn off there phone bill.

Thanks
Last edited by Nolzman on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#71313 by ntoy
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:20 pm
Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

I see that you activated/registered your box with one of our phone numbers(non landline) config. This means that you can take your box to another location to connect to a high speed internet connection. The number will be the same & it will be as if you are in Atlanta even though you are in Florida.

With an activated Ooma, there is a $79.99 reactivation fee if gifting to someone else.
#71314 by Nolzman
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take my Ooma to show him what can be done, but I will keep that one for myself. If the Father In-Law is sufficiently impressed, I may get him on or get the kids to chip in for one.
#71316 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 pm
Nolzman wrote:I have a newly activated Ooma, that I'm not using fully yet. I still have the phone co. line active until I get some technical issues worked out.

Hi Nolzman, if you can't correct the L1, L2 problem at the modem wall plate, I'd get cable internet. :) You'll probably enjoy it a lot more since it is uber fast compared to DSL. Updating all apps within iTunes for example, was like watching paint dry with DSL.

Nolzman wrote:My question is, can I take my activated Ooma (I live in Atlanta) to the in-laws (Florida) for Christmas and hook it up to thier network router and expect it to work? Will the number be the same?

Yes, yes.

Nolzman wrote:If it does work, can an activated Ooma be given as a gift and set up under someone else's name. I would even be willing to pay thier small bill each month.

ntoy, not sure if this is doable if Ooma doesn't work out for Nolzman....If Nolzman decides to give the Ooma away, don't see why he can't change the name, address and even the credit card # on the account (haven't done it so don't know). While he is on Premier trial, he can even obtain a 2nd number (make it local to FL for example) and then call CS to make that # his primary. Just thought this was mabye possible since he isn't really selling his unit but giving it to someone else within the family due to whatever difficulties he might be facing.

Nolzman wrote:I'm not able to port my number, but I checked and the In-Laws can be ported. What a great gift to port their number and give them my Ooma, so that they could turn off there phone bill.

This "can't port" is this what Ooma is telling you or what AT&T is telling you?
#71317 by Hollywood
Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:08 pm
if you have an active Ooma, and move to a new location, like mentioned above, you will/can just plug it into your high speed internet connection, boot it up, and you should be Okay with the same number. BUT!!!, be sure to logon to my.ooma.com to update your address so that if you dial 911, the service knows where to respond to.
#71352 by Nolzman
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 pm
lbmofo wrote:This "can't port" is this what Ooma is telling you or what AT&T is telling you?


First, I do NOT plan to give my Ooma away, unless I could I do so for free and I would buy me another. If I cannot get the L2 issue resolved, I will most likely switch to Cable broadband.

I have been told I cannot port my number by:

1. The Ooma website.
2. Ooma customer care via email, prior to buying the Telo.
3. Ooma customer care when I was activating the Telo.
4. Directly by ntoy via email.

So, I guess there is not way to port my number, at least for now. :x And now if I change to Cable Broadband my email address will change as well as my telephone number. The wife will not be happy. That is why I'm trying so hard to get L2 issue resolve.
#71353 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm
Uh oh. Did ntoy say that this "can't port" could change in the near future?

Whatever the case, best of luck.

About the email address.....we once were ball & chained to ISP specific email addresses too. Just recently, we finally cut the cord and signed up with gmail, live mail etc; transition was tough (letting everyone know of our new address and such). But, no more worrying about changing ISPs or moving :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests